Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No more Western Digital for me  (Read 6959 times)

No more Western Digital for me
« on: December 08, 2007, 12:54:19 PM »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/western_digital_drm_crippled_harddrive/

That's them permanently off my hardware list. Having MS (+ associated DRM rubbish) on machines is bad enough without deranged hard drives telling me that I can't share MY files.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: No more Western Digital for me
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 01:21:15 PM »

WTH...   have you seen this?

List of file types on a WD My Book World Edition that cannot be shared by WD Anywhere Access.
If these file types are on a share on the WD My Book World Edition system and another user accesses the share, these file will not be displayed for sharing. Any other file types can be shared using WD Anywhere Access.

Then look at the list of file extensions  :no:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »

Unbelievable :no: although the problem doesn't appear to be as bad as it first looks - the WD Anywhere Access (allowing you to share the drive over the Internet so you can access it remotely) is the thing that won't allow you to share media files. Apparently, from reading the comments, it works fine over the LAN.

But still, a pointless exercise, and a stupid marketing risk for WD, because the only outcome from this will be that people will be put off buying WD stuff, and loads of conspiracy theories and chinese whispers will start to emerge about what else WD do with their hard drives.

Even if all the drive manufacturers are doing it in a year or so, in people's minds WD will always be the 'dirty' ones who did it first!

Bad move IMO.
Chris

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 02:48:19 PM »

How long until it's in the drive firmware with API hooks and being used for DRM by MS? A year? Less?

Bye WD, you've been very reliable in the past but you can't be trusted now.

Edit - oh and in the case of the MyBook and LAN/internet access then I will decide what is "the internet" thanks very much. What happens if your LAN is comprised entirely of public IP addresses? Mine was not that long ago.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 02:50:50 PM by rizla »

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 04:31:30 PM »

yeah, unbelievable
Paul

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 04:52:04 AM »

I don't know, but presumably what it means is accessing it over a LAN i.e. using SMB, will not disallow access to the file types, but accessing using their remote access software does disallow them?

So in your scenario, if I was right, although you'd still be accessing using a public IP address it would still be over SMB rather than from a remote site using "Anywhere Access" whatever that may be!

I'm not saying I'm in favour of it or anything, I'm just trying to put the actual problem into perspective. I know the precidents are far-reaching though... :-\
Chris

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »

I think it probably wouldn't affect me in any event Chris as I'd just tunnel SMB in (from wherever). One more thing to remember though and I need that like a hole in the head :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 01:07:48 AM »

Thanks for the tip-off.

That's WD of off my Xmas shopping list, but then again, at the moment anything larger than 500 GB is very hard to find.

On another point with regards to DRM and piracy, I recently read of someone who installed a remote PC program which then disabled two of his/her programs, but strangely enough they were both spy-ware or monitoring type programs. (That sucks as far as I'm concerned) what's the world coming too.  :police:

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 06:55:32 PM »

What a godawful mess!
  Eric

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 10:56:09 AM »

Indeed.

Piracy is the only logical thing to do :D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 11:08:23 AM »

Well it just goes against the whole ethos of the internet... surely since the days of the fledgling ARPAnet it has always been about sharing ideas and resources. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 11:42:04 AM »

More publicity :

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/12/wd-makes-big-mistake

Though I'm not sure I agree with the statement that WD "genuinely underestimated the impact of what it did".

Someone made a design decision that undoubtably increased WD's design costs - it has to have cost more to implement file blocking than not to have bothered in the first place. It certainly won't have been an engineering decision IMHO.

Genuinely underestimated how much money it would cost them in sales? Yes I think so.

Weasel words - I still won't be using WD.

Edit - and another article :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/12/western_digital_filesharing_panic/

Reading between the lines Andrew thinks its incompetence. He may be right.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 12:16:05 PM by rizla »

anything