Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wiring and adsl/telephone extension advice.  (Read 15232 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Wiring and adsl/telephone extension advice.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 02:58:04 AM »

Ah, ha! Thanks for the pointer, Ian:)

If the cable in question is this or a closely related cousin thereof, then my suspicion will be quashed.

Regarding the performance of Adam's line, we really need to see some graphical statistics harvested over a period of days and to know to what value the target SNRM is set.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adam

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »

Evening Gents

The cable is indeed the 15m version of the one described by Ian. I had considered earthing, but didn't know which end to earth (or both) and what would be a suitable earth. Interesting I'm also a Talktalk customer, and I have the DSL-2780 modem  :ouch:

I believe I'm on the 9db profile, having previously requested the 6db profile. Due to a lot of 'testing' (aka resyncs) + high error seconds it seems DLM reset me back to 9db :( Annoyingly my sync was higher and the connection seemingly stable. It's something I will retry once I've finished messing around  ::)

Regarding line stats, I've not managed to get routerstats (full version) working with my modem, however routerstats lite does work, but like other people here and here it seems to crash the modem after several hours.

I suspect the constant polling is leaking memory to the point the web gui crashes. I have some older modems, maybe I can dig those out, but it's not ideal.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 11:52:29 PM »

Hi Adam,

In the DSL-2780's favour, my experience has been that it gives a faster synch than a few other modems I've tried, and it hangs onto a line longer when there's interference.  I've seen it ride out radio interference that was causing a different modem to repeatedly drop the line.

My main gripe with it is the wireless, which seems slow to establish a connection, and can be very stuttery if streaming to my mobile phone.

I'm now using a separate old modem just for the wireless, with the DSL-2780 actually doing the modem stuff, and this bodge works well for me.

I earthed the screen of the ADSL Nation cable by connecting it to an electrical earthing spike I'd pushed into the ground nearby outside.  But I didn't notice any difference.

I wouldn't get too hung up about my comparison of the cables, although the different results were repeatable, they weren't significant, more of a curiosity.  The fact that you've got a 15 metre twisted pair connection instead of a 15 metre flat telephone extension cable must surely be a Good Thing.

And, yes, I've had the web interface hanging problem when using RouterStats lite with the DSL-2780!

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 12:13:07 AM »

Hello, Adam. So I see that you also have TT as your CP.

What you need to do is to request (via the TT Members' Forum) that the DLM is turned off for your connection. Then with a target SNRM of 6 dB, you can test and experiment as much as you desire. I have lost count of the number of fellow Kitizens who have done exactly that.  ;)

The only modem/router that I ever received from TT is a Huawei SmartAX MT882. That was back in June 2007. It has long been retired to the further reaches of my grotto!

My current modem/router of choice is a Huawei HG622 because it uses the Broadcom BCM6368 SOC and, thus, all the typical Broadcom goodies are available via the telnet interface. Although I have a target SNRM set at 6 dB, I have tweaked the DS value downwards by 2 dB to gain an extra ~1 Mbps in DS sync speed.  :)

adam

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 11:15:19 PM »

Hello, Adam. So I see that you also have TT as your CP.
Yeah, cheap and overall not that bad :-)
What you need to do is to request (via the TT Members' Forum) that the DLM is turned off for your connection. Then with a target SNRM of 6 dB, you can test and experiment as much as you desire. I have lost count of the number of fellow Kitizens who have done exactly that.  ;)
I've requested again and asked for DLM to be turned off this time. I've read some posts where they say they can't guarantee it wont be turned back on by 'networks'
The only modem/router that I ever received from TT is a Huawei SmartAX MT882. That was back in June 2007. It has long been retired to the further reaches of my grotto!

My current modem/router of choice is a Huawei HG622 because it uses the Broadcom BCM6368 SOC and, thus, all the typical Broadcom goodies are available via the telnet interface. Although I have a target SNRM set at 6 dB, I have tweaked the DS value downwards by 2 dB to gain an extra ~1 Mbps in DS sync speed.  :)

I've dug out some old routers, a linksys WAG354G and a Thompson TG585v7 the latter of which I see there are some nice tools, but the DS sync was noticeable reduced on both  :(

I've got to hand it to the DSL-2780, it syncs well.

So regarding the stats, I've spent much time tinkering around to find out how to get the stats using telnet, as routerstats crashes the 2780. Thanks to some nuggets of info here and some suggestions from asbokid, I now have a script running on the router that I've written. It's capturing the DS SNR & sync rate to a log on a memory card using the 2780's usb port. I don't need to leave the computer on which is a result!

I'll leave it logging for a few more days, than attach the results here. I copied the log formatting style from routerstats. What would be a good way to view it?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 02:27:46 AM »

I've got to hand it to the DSL-2780, it syncs well.

So regarding the stats, I've spent much time tinkering around to find out how to get the stats using telnet, as routerstats crashes the 2780. Thanks to some nuggets of info here and some suggestions from asbokid, I now have a script running on the router that I've written. It's capturing the DS SNR & sync rate to a log on a memory card using the 2780's usb port. I don't need to leave the computer on which is a result!

Methinks someone has had some fun.  ;)

If I have the urge to be Eagle-obsessive about my line statistics, I power up a Raspberry Pi which is attached to my LAN. The R-Pi then harvests the statistics from the Huawei HG622 and writes them to a log file (which is stored on a USB memory stick). The log file is then used as the input for graphing utilities, etc.

As the HG622 has a USB port, I guess that there is a project waiting to be developed . . . a total re-write of the firmware so that it also auto-harvests the line statistics and stores them to a USB memory stick plugged into the USB port.

I'll leave it logging for a few more days, than attach the results here. I copied the log formatting style from routerstats. What would be a good way to view it?

I am not familiar with the log format of Routerstats . . . If textual, just copy and paste between quote tags. If graphical, ensure that the images are appropriately sized and attach them to your post.

When you are ready to share some results, I'm sure that either Eric or Kitz will be willing to advise on the best way of doing so.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 07:33:56 AM »

If I have the urge to be Eagle-obsessive about my line statistics

I have no idea how you get that impression  :lol:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »

If I have the urge to be Eagle-obsessive about my line statistics

I have no idea how you get that impression  :lol:

From the pecks at (and, thus, fur-loss from) my tail.  :(

Pages: 1 [2]