Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: problems after fibre installation  (Read 2850 times)

millie1807

• Just arrived
problems after fibre installation
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »

hi all
i read the post with a similar title but it was not quite answering my question and i really don't feel confident to look at wiring. i just need advice re the talktalk engineer visit i have booked tomorrow

i had a perfectly working service until i had fibre installed t weeks ago since then the ringing on incoming calls is unreliable. sometimes the phones ring properly but not often. mostly they ring once and stop. if i get there quickly i can pick up and the person is still there. sometimes people say they rang and i was here all the time but heard nothing.i have tried ringing from my mobile and it rings once then connects despite the fact i haven't picked up so i am charged for the call.
i don't know what the engineer did when he came . i have 2 phones, both plug in ones both ring rather than bleep. neither are working correctly. obviously i have a master socket and an extension. i have a filter fitted to the extension. the fibre is run from the master socket which does not have a filter.

talktalk are of course sending a bt engineer. i can pretty much conclude it isn't the line which their checks so far concur with. if it is my equipment they will charge £50.00 which i'm sure they will argue it is.

i have read new phones should work but one of the phones i got from homebase 10 months ago so what constitutes as new? i don't want to pay talktalk £50 when before i had a perfectly working service.
help

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: problems after fibre installation
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:10:55 AM »

Hello Millie and welcome to the Kitz forum.

From reading your description, it is clear that your recent FTTC (VDSL2) installation was defective. You will need a visit by an Openreach SFI or Boost engineer to correct the problem(s). As your CP is TalkTalk, I suspect that they have not booked an Openreach engineering visit but have requested a technician from Qube to take a look.

As it is already silly o'clock on Tuesday morning, the best advice I can give you is to politely ask the person who calls for her/his name and who is their employer. Make a note of it, straight away. You should not be charged for the visit but I suspect that you will need to continue to apply pressure to get TalkTalk to take the correct action. When you next communicate with TalkTalk, please feel free to mention this forum thread and let them know that the situation is being monitored.

Just one final comment. The telephone 'support' from TT is diabolical, to the point of being non-existent. For you own sanity, do not use it. It is far better to communicate via the OCEs at the Members Forum.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

millie1807

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »

i'm no further on. an engineer from openreach came and tested the line which is he says 100%. indeed whilst he was here, everything behaved as it should and i rang from my mobile and all worked perfectly.
i'm sure it won't last but he had no clue as to why it wasn't ringing the last 2 weeks though occasionally it has.

i'm sure talktalk will want to bill me. will have to get lots of people to phone me and see what happens.
thanks for advice. i have his name  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »

Have you transferred both your services (phone and broadband) to Talk Talk ??  We do get the odd instance whereby the number portability side of things doesn't go smoothly. If this is the case, it most certainly isn't an Openreach issue, and is more likely to be a software glitch between one of the two CP's involved, i.e.: Talk Talk and A.N. Other.

There are two parts to number portability's. The first presents dial tone, and the second provides the ring tone. The first always happens seamlessly as there is the onus on having availability to 999 services. It's the latter that can take up to 2 hours to switch over, and as I say, there are times whereby one of the two CP's will have forgot to implement it.

As you have just had a FTTC upgrade, I find it hard to believe the ringing capacitor within the NTE5 (Main socket) will be at fault, as you will have had a new one installed ?.

Just my thoughts from the information provided. :)

millie1807

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »

hi
i was with talktalk for both phone and broadband before, the only change was having fibre installed. still working but I’m not confident it will keep it up as yet.
thanks for your help

anything