Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No NTP/Demarcation Point at property  (Read 3382 times)

hchapman

• Just arrived
No NTP/Demarcation Point at property
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:57:19 PM »

Hi there,

I'm going to try and cut a long story short here, so I'll start with the problem I have at hand right now: there is no NTE box/Demarcation Point at my flat, and I'm having huge difficulty communicating with my ISP and OpenReach in order to get one installed. I'm wondering if anyone can help with regards to how I should go about communicating with BT and OpenReach in order to get the work done, as my attempts so far have been futile. Alternatively, I'm wondering if there is any way that I can get the wiring and NTP installed by an external engineer, or even, do it myself.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

I have written a more detailed account of my problem below as it might help:

I moved into the property about 7 months ago now, and instantly signed up for a package with BT Broadband as I noticed there were no telephone sockets anywhere in the property. After the first few initial BT Engineer visits, it was determined that OpenReach were required to complete the job as they found there was no wiring from street level to anywhere in the flat.

An OpenReach surveyor and engineer then turned up, and in November last year, some people came and drilled a hole under a BT manhole at street level and into the basement area outside the property. All seemed to be going well.

For some reason, after this, no OpenReach engineers returned to complete the wiring and install the NTP. I had no point of contact at OpenReach (as they weren't too happy about communicating directly with me, and preferred I do everything through my ISP), and so I contacted BT Broadband numerous times to try and resolve the problem. Each time, their solution was to send out a BT Engineer who would just turn up and say "that's an OpenReach problem" and leave.

At the beginning of this month, my BT Broadband account was suddenly terminated; I no longer existed in their records and my account could not be accessed. BT told me there was no history of OpenReach communications, and there was no problems with my property reported in their system. I have now started another contract with BT in the hope that eventually something will happen.

I understand that this seems to be more of a complaint on my part, and that I should contact BT and OpenReach with this complaint, but I did so twice already and nothing came of it.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: No NTP/Demarcation Point at property
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »

In all honesty, why pay for materials and possibly an external contractor, when this IS quite clearly an Openreach issue ?? I have to add, that it is also illicit to tamper with this side of the network.

You've clearly been lost amongst the trillions of communique's between yourself, your ISP and Openreach. This has been compounded by the fact there has been no evidence of existing line-plant ?? As a result of this, many more BT departments have to get involved.

All this aside, your ISP should be doing all the fire-fighting on your behalf. I would insist on having a personalised case-worker (single point of contact) to liase with, as the job will go smoother by having one.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »

EDIT: Sorry, Blacksheep is correct :-)  Leave it to the pros!

cheers, a

P.S. Welcome to the forum  :)

P.P.S. You have managed for seven months without a landline telephone or fixed wire internet?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »

:)

hchapman

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:44 PM »

I would insist on having a personalised case-worker (single point of contact) to liase with, as the job will go smoother by having one.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

The only reason I suggested paying to have an external contractor install it is because currently I'm spending approximately £75 per month on BTFon passes (my job often requires I have internet access at home).

And yes, I have managed for seven months.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 12:27:38 AM »

Oh dear. Your ISP/CP is Beattie Retail, herself.  :-\

One of the most difficult communication providers with which to communicate!  :-X

After seven months of shilly-shallying, perhaps the time is ripe for you to escalate this via the Executive Level Complaints department by sending a concise e-mail message to the big cheese, himself --

Ian.Livingston@BT.com
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:37:26 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.