Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking at Newsgroups in Win 7  (Read 4412 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Looking at Newsgroups in Win 7
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

I have had Win 7 on a multiboot system for some time anticipating the need to be able to talk sensibly to my children and (increasingly) grandchildren about computing. A week or so ago I decided I really must make Win 7 my default OS and this I have done (pats self on back). The Treasurer of my retirement association, to whom I am known as F1, of similar age to me has now got himself a new all singing all dancing PC with an SSD root drive and of course Win 7. He has been set up with Outlook 2003 for his emails and I have followed suit. We are both very pleased with Outlook although the many options can be confusing. After that meandering intro (It's his age, you know) my real reason for posting is to ask if anyone here still looks at newsgroups and, if so, what program do they use on win 7? I have tried Gravity but it is not being fully maintained now and I had a lot of problems with it. Would you recommend Thunderbird? Just looking for constructive suggestions please.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Looking at Newsgroups in Win 7
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »

Its a long time since Ive read the newsgroups, but I used to use Outlook Express... and many many years prior to that in the 90's 'Agent' which was provided FoC by my ISP back then.   I suppose if I used them again, the natural progression for me would be Outlook..  although once you get used to Thunderbird that looks quite ok.   Unfortunately though due to lack of participation I cant really comment.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

SecTSys

• I only work with HTCPCP
    • Putney Computers Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »

I still use newsgroups and personally - i always will.

The Client i use is called SABnzbd and it is completely free, and does all the work for you once it is set up. which is very very easy to work out.

The client has a web interface on it and the UI is in your broswer.

all you need to do is make sure the default folders are set up.

if you download rars etc, then it will do all the repairs unpacking and deleting of excess rars for you as well...

very very very stable client and works in all versions of windows
http://sabnzbd.org/
Visit the Live Gaming Website STSLG Website
Visit my YouTube gaming channel at STS Live Gaming

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »

I do use Outlook but unfortunately it doesn't natively have a newsreader although it will open an external newsreader from its own menus (I discover). I'm presently persevering with Gravity and getting some success. I did think about  SABnzbd but found Gravity first. Thanks for both your responses.
Tony

anything