Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Modem throughput - monitoring  (Read 1825 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Modem throughput - monitoring
« on: January 11, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »

Sitting here waiting for 3 different computers to download updates (and streaming some music to my phone as well), I wondered how much of my bandwidth I'm actually using.

And realised I've no idea, and don't seem to have a way to measure it.

Do any modems have a tool/function/bit of the web interface that shows a snapshot %age or plots a graph like Windows Performance monitor does?

I don't mean usage as in 40Gb/month (the ISP will have a chart showing your monthly usage), I mean "your line capacity is 20mb, you are using 85% at the moment" (or a graph showing that percentage)

Do any modems/routers do that?

Just curious really.

Ian

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Modem throughput - monitoring
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:20:31 PM »

I use pfSense, that has the ability to graph traffic, packets, ping times, and real-time usage (e.g. 15.51 Mbps down, 1.32 Mbps up) in a nice graph too. Google up pfSense for further details on it. It's basically a FreeBSD based router firmware, but very sophisticated and advanced, and I currently use it instead of the Business Hub 3 that BT supplied as I'm able to setup QoS as I want, not how the Hub would want.

I think there's a tool called cFos Speed or something like that, perhaps someone else can clarify. It's a Windows application for monitoring usage.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Modem throughput - monitoring
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:08:08 PM »

pfSense sounds interesting!  Apart from the nuisance of having an extra PC running all the time, I quite like the idea of a dedicated firewall/DHCP server etc that's highly configurable.

Something to think about  :)

Thanks

Ian