Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v1.0 released  (Read 6671 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
rs-ux and rs-w v1.0 released
« on: December 31, 2012, 10:12:24 AM »

Rs-ux and rs-w are functionally identical programs for Linux and Windows. Their purpose is to monitor ADSL and VDSL2 connections using Broadcom-based modem/routers which have a fully functional telnet interface. The original purpose was to support the HG612 with unlocked firmware, but the programs will work with many other Broadcom-based modem/routers.

This version represents a formal v1.0 release. Compared to the previous v1.0-RC2 release there are two small changes:

- if Pause, Stop or Exit buttons are pressed during sampling, the response is delayed until the
    sampling process is complete, to avoid possible lockup
- when saving snapshots, a check is made to ensure that the target directory exists and is
    writeable, and an error is logged if not

The programs can be downloaded from https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BxbUtOYVZ_SCZ1BnY3RKYnN2b1U/edit .

I've also put together a small website to support the programs at http://rsux.plainroad.me.uk

** Rather belatedly (sorry) I'd like to thank the various people who have tested rs-ux and rs-w, reported bugs, and made suggestions for improvement. It would have been a much poorer program without their help.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:53:01 AM by roseway »
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v1.0 released
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »

Roseway
I tried to download this latest version of your router monitoring program and Firefox keeps telling me the link is not redirecting properly and never gets to the file. This may be tied up with the change to Google drive (?) or possibly due to me stubbornly still using FF 3.6. I downloaded the program some months ago and I don't recall a problem. That Version was rs-w32-0.4 and since that time i have had to replace my motherboard and reload my system which may mean some configeration is different. I suspect a silly at my end, can you help, please?
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »

I'm afraid I don't have an explanation, Tony. I've tried the link with three different browsers, and they all connected properly. It's an https URL, so maybe http://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BxbUtOYVZ_SCZ1BnY3RKYnN2b1U/edit will work for you (although that seems to redirect to https:// anyway). If it continues to be a problem, I'll provide some other means of downloading it.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »

Using FF 17.1 on Linux I downloaded it just fine. Eric I did have a problem with Firefox and downloads early in the 0.9 release which I fixed but I cant remember what it was, although I did send you a PM about it I think (which I dont have a copy of). All I can suggest Tony is to clear Firefox cache and try again. Hopefully Eric will find my PM and it may help!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »

Ah yes, thanks Stuart, I remember it now. I don't expect you'll mind me quoting it in full:

Eric you may remember I was having problems with downloading the various updates because Firefox was complaining about re-direction problems, well I solved it by deleting all my cookies for my gmail account (which also had the problem) and now it all works. So if anyone else sees this it may be worth suggesting this as a fix.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »

Thank you for this release, Eric. It has been downloaded satisfactorily to The Cattery:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »

My Win 7 installation which has FF17 downloaded the page successfully so, since I tried all the other helpful suggestions without any joy, I think the FF version may be the problem or an addon I've not installed on win 7 perhaps. I will progress this another time and report later. I have to reinstall from a recovery partition my eldest daughter's Win 7 laptop (Compaq) which hasn't been useable since the last MS update. What with the vagaries of the recovery system and my unfamiliarity with Win 7 this task is taking me much longer than it should. The joys getting older (and older!)
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »

I'm glad you've got it now, anyway.

I've set up an alternative download source at https://sourceforge.net/projects/rsux/files/
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »

Getting "No DSL" warning and errors a per att. Have no idea what they mean.
Perhaps program is not suited to the TG582N? If so, pity!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »

I have a feeling that the TG582N lacks a usable telnet interface, but I may be wrong. That being said, I'm not happy to see the access violation. :(

Did you enter all the login details correctly (in particular, untick the option "Requires command to enter shell")?

Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »

You could well be right, as when you go to Routerstats' Router stats page you get "stats page not available view in web browser". Shell option was unticked.

So for now nothing better than Routerstats, which seems to be clunkier as time passes.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »

Having had a look around the 'net, I'm pretty sure that the telnet interface takes you to a custom CLI, not the Broadcom CLI which is needed for this program. So it does look as though I can't be any help to you unfortunately.

Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 05:01:12 PM »

No matter :); my fault for having a that router! >:(

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 06:04:02 PM »

Many thanks for this nice software.
Is it possible to define another port to connect? IP:PORT seems not to be accepted.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »

Thanks for the comment. I'll have a look at using a different port optionally.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2