Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v1.0RC2  (Read 7728 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v1.0RC2
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »

Thanks again, Stuart.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »

Eric sad to say I have to report I've had two access violations today and not running gdb. The first I thought I might have caused so I ignored it - bad move... so now it's running again under gdb to see if the aforesaid problem rears its ugly head again and hopefully gives us some information on it. I thought it might have been me the first time as I had paused it and issued commands via telnet to resync and then started it again. Don't really want to force another resync just now to see if I can recreate it, but in a day or so if nothing shows up I will try.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »

Thanks for the report, Stuart (even if it's unwelcome :) ). I'll try pausing and then forcing a resync via telnet before resuming, and see if the same happens here.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 11:13:38 PM »

Stuart, it's just occurred to me that the debug version is RC3, but the non-debug version is RC2, which didn't have the extra error trapping relating to the Stop, Pause and Exit buttons. I don't want you to waste your time chasing a bug which I think is already eliminated.

[Edit] I may be talking nonsense here. I think you've been running version RC3 in both cases, first under the control of GDB, and now on its own. If this is the case, please ignore what I said above.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:40:12 PM by roseway »
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 09:50:05 AM »

Stuart, it's just occurred to me that the debug version is RC3, but the non-debug version is RC2, which didn't have the extra error trapping relating to the Stop, Pause and Exit buttons. I don't want you to waste your time chasing a bug which I think is already eliminated.

[Edit] I may be talking nonsense here. I think you've been running version RC3 in both cases, first under the control of GDB, and now on its own. If this is the case, please ignore what I said above.

Eric to confirm I was running debug version but outside of gdb when I got the access violations.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »

Yes, I was talking nonsense. My only excuse is that it was my bedtime.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »

Yes, I was talking nonsense. My only excuse is that it was my bedtime.
;)
Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »

Eric I have this morning done a number of tests pausing the program while accessing the router and restarting the program including one such test where I did a reboot while paused but all worked fine, no access violations. I'll leave it running under gdb for a while longer and try some more testing in a day or so to see if I can nudge it to fail.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 01:21:42 PM »

Thanks Stuart, I appreciate all this effort you're putting in. I've also tried hard to trigger an access violation without success. I think I'm going to decide tomorrow to release the present RC3 version as a v1.0 release and spend no more time on bug hunting this version. The reason is that the code which handles all the telnet access is very untidy and much patched, making it difficult to follow through any possible coding errors. So I intend to do a complete rewrite of this part of the program to clean up the code and make it much easier to follow.

Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »

OK Eric, I'll keep it running in gdb for a few days just in case for now. You never know we might just get lucky....

Stuart
Pages: 1 [2]

anything