Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: YouView  (Read 2288 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
YouView
« on: December 28, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »

I'm with TalkTalk, already on the unlimited package with free calls. 

I'm considering getting the free YouView box package, which I think costs the same as the package I'm already on, except  perhaps a longer contract time (18 months instead of 12 I think?)

Does anyone here have it?  Any problems with it?

A month or so back I saw some postings on the TalkTalk forum complaining of reduced synch rate or throughput after having the YouView box installed.  This seems a little illogical - unless the box radiates a lot of noise!  Unconnected events?

Just to get a "free" HD recorder device for Freeview, and easy access to various catchup IPTV services seems worthwhile to me.

Thoughts?

Ian

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: YouView
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »

I looked at this a while ago when I was considering signing up for a new contract with TT (which I've not yet done). I'm not sure what exactly it has in terms of features. I know it takes an aerial signal as well as a broadband connection but I don't know what it records on, HDD presumably but how big? Also does it have a Freeview HD tuner as well as normal Freeview? Also my concern with HDD only recording is that if the HDD fails you are stuffed and lose all your programmes, whereas with an HDD/DVD recorder you can copy from HDD to DVD to keep programmes for as long as you want and free up space on the HDD. To my mind and HDD/DVD recorder is preferable and a smart TV or separate smart box for BBC/ITV player stuff, or simply use a laptop with HDMI output.

Overall I think it's just a gimmick, and as you have noted there are problems with both the box and bandwidth on TT. Not sure the TT unlimited is truly unlimited especially if you have one of these boxes and use it for huge amounts of TV.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: YouView
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »

I've got one. It works. It's HD. Not much more to say really.

I didn't get mine via TT though, but "free" from the pre-launch trials.

We have other similar systems (far too many really - we even have a fully-subscribed Sky Plus HD box that's not in use!  :lol: ). My wife likes it because she finds the "going back in time" bit easy to use as it's relatively seamless. I prefer FreeSat (one of several alternatives) because it's a bit more flexible, but that's just my taste really.

anything