Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Download Speed issues when using p2p...  (Read 3770 times)

kavichauhan

Download Speed issues when using p2p...
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »

Hi there,

I hope someone can help and give some advice!

I have a half decent ADSL broadband connection, when on speedtest.net I am getting speeds at around 10mg download, and on my router I am getting 11mg downsteam into the line.

I have a problem however when using p2p applications with download speeds that are extremly slooooow...speeds are more often that not at about 1-2 kbps! On occasion they spike up to 50-100 kbps, and have seen speeds up to 500-800 kbps too. The only thing is that it is not consistant.

Now before anyone says, I am not new to p2p and aware that the d/l speed depends on how many seeders etc, however the items I am downloading have many many seeders.

I am using both uTorrent and Azureus for p2p, both have the same d/l speed issues.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all

***sorry forgot to mention that when downloading from any other website or from a server the download speeds are normal (upto 1mbps)***
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:20:30 AM by kavichauhan »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Download Speed issues when using p2p...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »

So that I can understand your figures, could you confirm that they are:

Speedtest.net: ~10 megabits per second (Mbps)
Router connection speed: ~11 megabits per second (Mbps)
Download from websites: up to 1 megabyte per second (MBps)
P2P speeds: are these kilobits or kilobytes per second?

If the P2P speeds are particularly low, the most likely cause (I think) is traffic management by your ISP.
  Eric

kavichauhan

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »

Hi,

Yes the figures you have quoted are correct.
P2P speeds are kilobytes per second.

Is there anything I can do about the traffic management if it is the ISP???

My broadband ISP is with Utility Warehouse, I believe they use a talktalk line.

Thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »

TalkTalk do slow down P2P traffic at certain times, but I wouldn't have expected it to be as bad as you report. It may be that Utility Warehouse's traffic management is more invasive, but their website seems to be silent on the subject. If the problem really is traffic management then unfortunately I doubt if there's anything you can do about it, apart from changing ISP.
  Eric

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »

This may be of use: https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/files/terms_and_conditions/Utility_Warehouse_Traffic_Management_Policy.pdf

Seems they have P2P traffic shaping in place during Peak hours.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kavichauhan

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »

Hiya, thanks for your responses.

Seems as though you may be right, utility warehouse are managing the traffic during the peak times. I put my computer on this morning before work (so off-peak), and my download speeds shot straight up to over 500kbps! I have of course left my computer on during the day happily downloading  :)

So my next question would be, who are the best ISPs out there that wont do this!?

Thanks

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:30:43 AM »

dont know if its been mentioned as Iam in a hurry, but if your on a Talk Talk connection then enable encryption in uTorrent, it worked on my dads Talk Talk connection last week when I was staying at his for Xmas, it helps bypass the P2P restrictions TT apply, 7pm at night he was getting 2MB/s (16Mbps) downloading heavily seeded torrents , what happened was I knew TT restricted P2P but thought I would try it anyway, right enough it was 0.1KB/s , just by the off-chance I thought about the encryption option to set it too ENABLED and restarted uTorrent and the torrents came flying down the line :) - i then googled it and seems to work for others. you may not get the full speeds but I certainly done well with it...

give it a try - you may be pleasantly surprised :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73