Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Since FTTC, Crossed Line  (Read 9247 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Since FTTC, Crossed Line
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:14:42 PM »

Hi All, long time since I've last been here, hope everyone is well :)

Anyways, last week finally had FTTC put in, and the engineer was a very nice chap, moved the master socket and getting the full 40000kbps sync, however, after he'd gone it started raining and the phone started getting incoming calls for someone else, and we're not able to call in. But, the broadband is fine as is outgoing calls.

What I'd like to know, basically I'm guessing there's wiring adjustments at the cabinet, however could this be causing the crosstalk only in rain, or is just a coincidence as to when its happening?

Its been reported to my provider (TalkTalk), and they Openreach working on it, but would this only show up as a fault when the line is physically crossed?

Thanks
Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Since FTTC, Crossed Line
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »

Hi Jamie,

This is needle in a haystack time, but odds on it's in the PCP where the E side pair has been connected from a different service and yours has been left open circuit.

So you have no dial tone except the dregs from the other unfortunate user.

Kind regards,
Walter

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:23:47 PM »

Hi Jamie,

This is needle in a haystack time, but odds on it's in the PCP where the E side pair has been connected from a different service and yours has been left open circuit.

So you have no dial tone except the dregs from the other unfortunate user.

Kind regards,
Walter

Hi Walter,

Not quite, I've a dialtone and can dial out, and the broadbands fine, however no incoming calls at all.

It will ring, but its the other persons line that we get! Openreach updated today, no fix till Sunday, so over a weeks wait for their mess up  :no:

Cheers,
Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:38:05 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . .  I can't think of a scenario where a jumpering 'mishap' within the PCP, at VDSL2 service provision time, would give rise to the precise symptoms you have reported. I wonder if Black Sheep would be able to speculate a possible reason?

Ah, sudden thought time! If you call 17070, what number does Beattie declare your circuit to be? Your number? Or something completely different? If the latter is true, then it seems as if the installing technician has crimped the E-side tie pair from the FTTC to the wrong (but live) E-side pair to the exchange . . .  ::)

As for the rain -- coincidence.  :P
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »

Hi B*cat, thanks for the reply :)

17070 gives me my number, its a really strange one! But Openreach have identified a battery fault somewhere, its bound to be in the cabinet. When I make a call, its for me and everything is dandy, however incoming calls, the phone will ring, but if I answer, the caller just hears the continuous ringing.

I get someone elses calls, but I still get my dialling tone, if i quiet the line, I can hear the other line and the talking, its all very unusual!

On the positive side, 37meg and no sign of DLM causing any probs  :D
Kind Regards
Jamie

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:06:55 AM »

I get someone elses calls, but I still get my dialling tone, if i quiet the line, I can hear the other line and the talking, its all very unusual!

Ah ha! A classic 'battery contact' fault, most definitely. Where it is occurring may not be quite so clear cut. I will make a suggestion that it is possibly occurring on the HDF (the handover distribution frame) at the exchange rather than in the PCP. It will be interesting to know.  :)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:19 AM »

I am told by TalkTalk that it's a battery fault open reach have identified and they've already been out to the exchange and cabinet.

Although they have till Sunday to get out a line engineer.

Interesting, is anything done at the exchange for fibre installs? It's only started happening since then?

Thanks again for the replies :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 12:46:15 AM »

Interesting, is anything done at the exchange for fibre installs?

No, nothing needs to be done immediately with a VDSL2 installation but please remember there was an ADSL2+ service provided on the pair . . . and that was connected via the HDF in the exchange. As soon as the tie-pairs are jumpered into the pair (within the PCP) there is a 'low-pass, high-block' filter in circuit (located at the end of the E-side tie-pair within the FTTC) so the original ADSL2+ service still coming from the exchange does not continue any further onto the D-side, towards the EU and (more importantly) so that the VDSL2 signal does not travel down the E-side, back towards the exchange. So eventually a 'frames technician' will be tasked to re-jumper the circuit to remove the ADSL2+ service from the pair and that, I suspect, is when the 'battery contact' was accidentally created.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:49:11 AM by burakkucat »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:50:37 AM »

Thanks for the reply, that was an interesting read and your hunch may be right, the phone was fine until day 2 after the install when its likely the HDF work was done :)

I'll keep you posted :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »

Message today to confirm its all been fixed, speed on the Fibre has gone up too:

Also, as i'm on LLU, I assume there's no way for me to find out what IP Profile i'm on?

I'll try and find out what the cause of the problem was, but glad its fixed :D

Thanks again for all the replies and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . .  I can't think of a scenario where a jumpering 'mishap' within the PCP, at VDSL2 service provision time, would give rise to the precise symptoms you have reported. I wonder if Black Sheep would be able to speculate a possible reason?

Ah, sudden thought time! If you call 17070, what number does Beattie declare your circuit to be? Your number? Or something completely different? If the latter is true, then it seems as if the installing technician has crimped the E-side tie pair from the FTTC to the wrong (but live) E-side pair to the exchange . . .  ::)

As for the rain -- coincidence.  :P

Sounds like the Cat has had this all boxed off, as usual. It smacks to me, that either the Exchange PSTN electronic equipment had gone faulty, or scrap wire from a recent nearby termination had 'bridged' the 2 affected circuits. The latter being far more common.  :)
Either way, a quick resolution was found and all is well with the world once again ............ just for now. ;D

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »

Sounds like the Cat has had this all boxed off, as usual. It smacks to me, that either the Exchange PSTN electronic equipment had gone faulty, or scrap wire from a recent nearby termination had 'bridged' the 2 affected circuits. The latter being far more common.  :)
Either way, a quick resolution was found and all is well with the world once again ............ just for now. ;D

Yes it started from when the Fibre was installed, so anythings possible but tomorrow I will hopefully find out exactly what happened,  :) The OR engineer informed me it was one of the best lines he'd seen with no noise etc, so there was me hoping all was well then the line got crossed, but all is fixed now  ;D
Kind Regards
Jamie

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »

Yeah, the actual fault could have occurred after he had performed his various tests. Depending on the size of the Exchange, there are quite a number of new terminations taking place daily, or old terminations being removed for that matter.
When the wires are wrapped around the fuse-tags, the excess is cut away and usually lands on the floor, but can sometimes fall and land across a number of other fuse-tags. This causes the 'Full' battery contact (50v approx) that allows you to hear other conversations taking place.

Just for clarification, you state you had a "Crossed line". This is incorrect terminology, as you actually had a contact fault, or overhearing as it's more commonly known. Of course, you are not to know this and I'm not trying to be clever. Its just for information to the readers of this forum.
A 'Crossed line', is where you would have had a different number to your own when you perform the 17070 test.

How smug do I sound ? ;D ;D

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »

A 'Crossed line', is where you would have had a different number to your own when you perform the 17070 test.

How smug do I sound ? ;D ;D

Thats a fair point and again interesting reading, i'm always up for learning something new  :D

The cabinet is super close by, literally around the corner, unfortunately an ECI modem so no stats for me :( Huawei cab, one of the first to be rolled out I believe in my exchange area :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:23:05 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 01:58:39 AM »

Just woken from a little cat-nap . . .

Message today to confirm its all been fixed, speed on the Fibre has gone up too

Yay. Success! With the former, the latter is to be expected.  :clap:

From that result, I assume TalkTalk only provide a 40/2 Mbps VDSL2 package?

You mention that you have a Huawei FTTC but have been provided with an ECI B-FOCuS modem. I prescribe a quick eBay search:P

Pages: [1] 2

anything