Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Outlook Express - replacement?  (Read 5388 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Outlook Express - replacement?
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »

Normally I would install Thunderbird, but am asking if anyone is aware of anything that looks and works much like Outlook Express did.

After much confusion for an elderly user, who really just cant seem to get to grips with the different terms and  layouts used within Thunderbird..  any suggestions please?   
HP- I think you also deal with elderly clients who perhaps dont take to change so readily.   

Cheers
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Outlook Express - replacement?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »

Windows Live Mail (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/essentials-other-programs ) For XP and upwards, is the replacement for OE.  Earlier versions (and the XP version) are still pretty much like OE, the latest for Win7 less so, though it's basically still OE inside)

That download page will offer you the appropriate package for your OS, but you might not want everything it offers to download for you - you get to choose once you've got the initial downloader running)

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »

Thanks Ian, I must confess Ive never really used live mail myself..  but from what I can gather... this may actually confuse him even more.   I'd installed Thunderbird rather than go with WLM.

If he's struggling a bit with Thunderbird's layout, I can only imagine that Live Mail wont be much easier.. particularly since he emails photos, so having to use skydrive  I just know is going to go down like a lead balloon :(

I spent about an hour or so this weekend trying to show some of the main differences of Win8, and I must have said about 8 times that I cant get OE...    but after todays phone call I could really hear the frustration in his voice to the point of he was wanting to give up using his new machine.  He seems to have got to grips with Win8 far easier than the loss of OE.  :'(

I guess I need something simple that does the job of mail without all added bells and whistles which makes it more confusing for him...   and if it looks like OE did then all the better.

PS

Integrated spell checker would also be appreciated
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:08:48 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 11:37:12 PM »

I've just sent a picture, embedded in the email, from Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 7, without having to use Skydrive.

(basically, once you're preparing the new email, you click on the "insert" tab, and there's option for "photo album" or "single photo").

Don't know how different that is to the Windows 8 version, or if that's any help!

I've not *yet* got Win8, indeed, despite having a Win7 machine here, I still mainly use my old XP machine as everything is setup how I like it.  Though I'm gradually migrating things...

I'm getting old!  I used to embrace every new thing!

Ian

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 12:00:22 AM »

Hmm yes, the "native" live mail is rather different, though TBH not many of my older clients are baffled by it.
As noted above, the XP version (still available to download I think) is somewhat more familiar.
(I even use it myself in its 2009 guise, alongside "real" Outlook (2007).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 02:06:43 AM »

Thanks guys for the comments.  I'll certainly have a look and see if I can get hold of the XP version and give that a go and see how he gets on with that.   I do think the major problem with Thunderbird may be unfamiliar names,  and icons for things he has no use for.

-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »

I only encounter it occasionally, but I actually find TB a bit too "retro" especially when run on a post-XP OS. At least WLM does fit in with the MS way of doing things so overall probably less for us old folk to learn.....  :baby:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »

>> old folk to learn.

I think most of them do remarkably well under the circumstances.  I've had 3 separate OAPs over the past week though who seem afraid of breaking things if they click the wrong button or that bad things will happen

Im not sure if its because the price of laptops has come down, or the realisation that more and more aspects of life now uses an online presence, but at least from my perspective, there seems to be a new wave of oldies about to join the interwebs for the first time..  who were too nervous to do so before.  2 of these are too nervous/ashamed to admit how little they know to join a night school, despite re-assurances from me that they wont be the only ones starting from scratch.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »

Have you considered a web based mail client such as G Mail or Yahoo..It might be strange to them at first but they are don't alter with every Windows o/s change,so once they are familiar with it.... :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 10:44:15 AM »

Have you considered a web based mail client such as G Mail or Yahoo..It might be strange to them at first but they are don't alter with every Windows o/s change,so once they are familiar with it.... :)

Trouble with that, Uncle, is that whilst it may not change with OS versions, it can change at the whim of the provider whenever they change the interfaces.  AOL's webmail has caused problems with my elderly Dad (and hence for me) at least once or twice over the years.

That said, better half's elderly Mum has only ever used OE, and is blissfully unaware that she can use a webmail interface as backup when away from home.   I've though about trying to teach her, but decided that if she's unaware of the problem then trying to fix it is asking for trouble!

Shame about TB, I've grown into quite a fan, but agree it's not ideal for the likes of above.

Shame too that google have withdrawn the free version of google apps a couple weeks back.  Once set up it was amazing good, and amazingly free.   Worked well with OE, TB, and a nice clean web interface too.  But that's off topic.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 11:08:03 AM »

TB does have themes and there are some which make it look like OE etc but sadly they are no longer maintained and it is unlikely they will work with the newest TB.

However TB is quite customisable and you can usually make most stuff which might confuse hide behind the drop-down menus and just have the Icons which matter. I'm used to it and so dont have text on my icons but that is an option, and there are add-ons which allow you to change icons etc.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

anything