Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: TalkTalk - Should I Switch?  (Read 25500 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
TalkTalk - Should I Switch?
« on: December 15, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »

What are TalkTalk really like? We are currently with Zen and Plusnet, paying £30 to Zen for broadband (200GB a month) and £20 to Plusnet for unlimited any time phone calls (landlines) and line rental.

TalkTalk will offer broadband and phone for £19.95 which includes unlimited broadband and anytime calls (landlines). The only problem is that it is a 12 month contract, so we are stuck with them for a year.

We are mainly looking to move for the cost savings, but is it worth it? What are TalkTalk really like? Should we stay put?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:38:43 PM by arobertson545 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: TalkTalk - Should I Switch?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »

It has to be said that their telephone support is dire. But the members' forum is an effective way of getting things done, although you have to wait a couple of days for a response. Technically I have no complaints at all - since I joined a few months ago the service has performed very well indeed.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »

I have been with TalkTalk since the summer of 2007 and have no complaints about the quality of their telephony & broadband services.

I second Eric's comments regarding the telephone support v members' forum but being a techocat, I have no need for the typical 'customer support' service.

Ultimately, the choice is yours to make.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »

Is the essentials package from TalkTalk truly unlimited? As the site says it is, but their legal site says 40GB:

TalkTalk Broadband, including Essentials
Section 1: Traffic management in relation to your broadband product
(not including during busy times and places to manage network congestion see Section 2)
Use and availability of services, content, application and protocols on this product:   
Are any services, content, applications or protocols always blocked on this product?**
If so what?   NO
Are any services, content, applications or protocols always slowed down?
If so what?   NO
Are any services, content, applications or protocols always prioritised on this product?
If so what?   NO
Are any managed services delivered on this product?
If so what?
What impact?   NO
Data caps and download limits:   
What are the download/upload limits or usage caps on this product?   40GB
Is traffic management used to manage compliance with data caps and download limits?
Under what circumstances?
Level of speed reduction?
Duration of speed reduction?   NO
Is traffic management used in relation to heavy users?
Under what circumstances?
Level of speed reduction?
Duration of speed reduction?   NO

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »

Is the essentials package from TalkTalk truly unlimited? As the site says it is, but their legal site says 40GB:

'Unlimited' is what TalkTalk call a 'boost', and it was previously a chargeable extra, but now it's free (but still an extra). It does have a FUP attached, but this shouldn't kick in until you get to several hundred GB.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »

Thanks Eric :).

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:25:05 PM »

I've been with TalkTalk for 13 months, only had one problem that was sorted out without problem (see below). 

Their download speed estimate was 10 - 14 mb, I get 20Mb line speed with a download speed of never less than 16Mb, even at peak times, and it's been very reliable. 

That said, I have distant relatives who are also with TalkTalk and had some problems with it, and got the runaround from phone tech support.  Eventually turned out to be a dying modem, but I discovered that, not their techs.  Efforts to get a new free "goodwill" modem from retentions failed, so as a result they're probably moving to BT when the contract expires.

A lot of negativity towards TalkTalk seems to be from their support.

My TalkTalk fault shows them in a good light : earlier in the year, the line went dead.  No voice, no ADSL.  I got a friend, on a different exchange, to contact TalkTalk and log the fault.  This worked ok, fault was cleared a few hours later.

Similar thing happened to the same friend, who asked me to report the fault for her.  She's with Plusnet.  I tried to do this, even having her customer number handy, but PlusNet wouldn't let me do it without the customer password as well!

So on that one, TalkTalk win!

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »

:thumbs:

. . . only had one problem that was sorted out without problem . . .

I've read that phrase multiple times and I have to say that the Sheddy logic so disclosed has caused some amusement!  ::)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »

". . . only had one problem that was sorted out without problem . . ."

I've read that phrase multiple times and I have to say that the Sheddy logic so disclosed has caused some amusement!  ::)

It was typed in haste without applying brain :)

What I meant was, the particular problem (lack of phone) was resolved without any difficulty - didn't have to wait days, or have multiple support calls, nor any further problems once it was fixed - everything went back to normal.

Begin Fault
  Friend logged fault
  Fault fixed within few hours
Fault ends.

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »

I realised what you had intended to convey and what had happened during the typing of your post.  ;D

b*cat tends to show 'kitten peskiness' whenever he gets the chance. (And the above was too good to miss!)  :blush:

sheddyian -->  :friends:  <-- b*cat
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:00:06 PM by burakkucat »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 09:10:02 PM »

It's quite ok, I am nothing if pedantic in making sure I get the details across correctly :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:46 PM »

Hmm. We really can't decide! It's TalkTalk taking over the line and the 12 month contract that is worrying us. If it is was really bad, would there be anyway to get out without penalty?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 12:18:28 AM »

If it is was really bad, would there be anyway to get out without penalty?

Ensure that you have a written copy of the contract, which is legally binding on both parties. The contract will specify the standard/quality/whatever to which you are entitled and what TalkTalk have been contracted to supply.

If you can supply clear evidence that TalkTalk are in breach of the contract, than a court of English law will free you from that contract -- at TalkTalk's expense.

However, no one can make your decision for you, Alec:no:

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 10:02:24 AM »

Another TT customer here for 8 years. Now on their Fibre Essentials service, and downloading several 100GBs a month and not heard anything from them. Had one or two faults over that time, which they've sorted promptly and without me having to chase them up.

One thing to be aware of when going to TT LLU, is that your phone number is transferred to them. If you decide to leave in the future, the chances of retaining it are very slim. I'm not sure if this also affects other LLU providers, or if its limited to TT.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »

Just to say that I've been with them on LLU ADSL2+ now for a few years and when I have had a problem (only one serious one) it was resolved without any great fuss using the forums. I've never used their phone support.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6