Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Google 60's style...  (Read 8696 times)

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Google 60's style...
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »

Enjoy Google in the style of the 60's - http://www.masswerk.at/google60/ - and don't forget to switch on your speakers first.

Cheers,
Peter

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Google 60's style...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »

Oh, that is superb!

Thank you!

I'm not *quite* old enough to remember punched cards, but I have looked after systems with teletypes, and magtapes.

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »

Isn't that how it is now? ;D
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 09:17:31 AM »

Wonderful! And I'm definitely old enough to have beaten a few IBM 029's to death (difficult, they were rock solid)!

I've been using this slightly later (80's) version for a while now: http://www.masswerk.at/googleBBS/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »

Excellent  ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 10:51:13 AM »

Yes IBM 029, 026 card punches and the card verifiers 059 and 056 were attacked by me as well. I thik the most frightening thing about card punches were the huge rooms you could get with maybe 80-100 young ladies (well I'm being polite there  :-X ) sitting there operating them.

The processor console shown reminds me of the IBM/360 series I worked on as an engineer particularly the 360/30 and 360/40, I also worked on 360/50 and 360/65. They all had golf ball typewriter consoles.

You could play tunes on the line printers (by manipulating what was being printer) and by running a special program and having a transistor radio tuned between MW stations you could also play tunes on the CPUs as well, very expensive music machines  ::) Brought back very many memories....

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »

Hiya Stuart,
 Yes, I also remember the tunes that you could play using the line printers. I was with NatWest from 1970 to 1993, and my introduction to the hardware was initially IBM 1401 and 7010. Of course by the time I left they were using IBM 3090, but I should think that things have moved on since then.

TTFN

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »

Hiya Stuart,
 Yes, I also remember the tunes that you could play using the line printers. I was with NatWest from 1970 to 1993, and my introduction to the hardware was initially IBM 1401 and 7010. Of course by the time I left they were using IBM 3090, but I should think that things have moved on since then.

TTFN

toulouse

I was involved with NatWest initially in London (Goodmans Fields) and Kegworth, by that time I was no longer working as a hardware engineer but had moved to S/W support. In my very early hardware days I did briefly work on 1401 and 7010.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 04:57:03 PM »

b*cat can remember the technology involved and would recommend a day trip to the National Museum of Computing for anyone interested in such equipment.

For my test of the the 1960s system, I punched "TELEPHONE SERVICE GPO" onto a card and, once it had been processed, I was taken to the GPO Telephones page of Wikipedia;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »

Hiya Stuart,

Heh.

The branch (not NatWest) which I started at used to have a Burroughs B80, but some of the smaller branches used to have TC500's or TC3500s ? which had a type of ticker tape with punched holes.  The idea for an experienced 'machinist' was too see how far ahead they could process transactions..  then sit back, watch and wait whilst it caught up.  That golf ball would clatter like crazy all day.

We then went over to Philips Systems where each member of staff (ie cashiers/lenders etc) had their own terminal with a B&W monitor which must have been all about 7" wide.  After about a year, just about all of those screens had something like **** SELECT TRANSACTION ***** burnt in them. 
The advantage of the Phillips system was being able to process other branch transactions 'real time' and get up to date information on other branch accounts.

Sometime in the very late 90's Olivetti's were introduced, with decent sized monitors and wow colour! 
I was also issued with a laptop in the 90's - I cant recall the brand but DIGITAL seems to ring a bell... and I had a lil Cannon BJ-30? portable printer that ate paper for fun. That however was my first introduction to Windows (& minesweeper) :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:53 AM »

That is really well done. I like the BBS verison.  :)
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

anything