Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v1.0RC2  (Read 7707 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
rs-ux and rs-w v1.0RC2
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »

After a rather long interval, the issues with the previous version have been addressed and this new release candidate is available.

Changes:
- removed 2-minute overlap between successive auto snapshots
- added extra error trapping to avoid possible lockup situations
- added error log to record communication or data errors between program and router
- added detection of RSCorr values as alternative source of FEC error data
- added feature to display max/min SNRM values and times by right-clicking the SNRM graph

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BxbUtOYVZ_SCZ1BnY3RKYnN2b1U/edit

* My thanks to rhohne for some valuable suggestions concerning possible error situations.

(I haven't yet produced a debug version, but I will if anybody wants to try running it with GDB.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:22:45 AM by roseway »
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v1.0RC2
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:13:10 AM »

Hi Eric,

Quick feedback:-

It's looking very slick now.

I had it running all night, in tandem with my own 24/7 harvesting program. No clashes at all now.  :)

Just a slight "discrepancy" with FEC/RSCorr errors though? - see attached graphs, yours appears to report more than mine, but both based upon RSCorr from xdslcmd info --stats.

If anything, as my program only harvests data every 60 seconds, I would have expected higher delta values from mine, rather than from yours that harvests every 30 seconds.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »

Thanks for those comments. I think the FEC/RSCorr discrepancy is understandable - you count the number of errors in one actual minute, whereas I count the number in one sampling period and convert it to a per-minute rate. As FEC errors occur in a very bursty fashion, it's inevitable that the two methods will deliver different results.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 07:46:47 AM »

Quick update:-

Your program is still running continuously in tandem with mine without any clashes or glitches.
(Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit)

I notice the timing of the snapshot graphs has gradually crept a little though.

The graphs were initially created at 24 minutes past the 2 hour interval.
The latest set were created at 28 minutes past.

The first set was created 5th December though & it's now 8th, so it doesn't seem like too much of an issue - until possibly the harvesting element from both programs eventually clash with each other.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 08:26:44 AM »

Many thanks Paul.

4 minutes slippage in ~60 hours - I make that about 66 ms slippage per minute (33 ms per sample). I had hoped that the timer would be a bit more accurate than that, but it's rather difficult to implement a really accurate timer in a cross-platform GUI program. I'll take another look at it, but it may fall into the category of 'diminishing returns'.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »

Eric I'm back tonight and will give this new version a go. If I run into a hang or crash I'll let you know and then it might be an idea if I run a debug version.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:35:59 PM »

Thanks Stuart.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »

Eric last night I had a hang where I could not shutdown rsux (had to kill it) and this morning I got access violation a couple of times. I think a debug version which runs under gdb might be a good idea. (32 bit that is)

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »

OK Stuart, I'll do that later today.

One question though - did you try to shut down the program while 'Sampling' was displayed? It occurred to me after I uploaded this version that closing, stopping or pausing the program while it was in the middle of sampling was a potential problem, and I've now trapped those situations (by delaying the requested action until sampling is complete).
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »

One question though - did you try to shut down the program while 'Sampling' was displayed? It occurred to me after I uploaded this version that closing, stopping or pausing the program while it was in the middle of sampling was a potential problem, and I've now trapped those situations (by delaying the requested action until sampling is complete).

Yes it was sampling when I clicked stop and then tried to close with the X, it said stopped but after that would not respond and had to kill it. This has happened more than once. I usually click stop before closing anyway.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »

I've uploaded a debug version (Linux 32-bit only) to the same address:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BxbUtOYVZ_SCZ1BnY3RKYnN2b1U/edit

This version includes extra error trapping to intercept pause, stop and exit commands during sampling. This should hopefully avert that particular possibility for problems.

Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »

Now running the debug version and will see what happens.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »

Just a quick update to say so far I've not had any problems, I've tried stopping and closing or just closing a few times and so far no problems. However the previous version I used did not have the Stopping or Closing message come up instead of Sampling, so I think whatever changes you made in that area have had the desired effect. Now to let it run and see if I get any access violations to debug  ;)

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 03:39:41 PM »

Thanks Stuart.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »

Been running in debug mode since last update and no problems to report at all. No hangs or access violations at all.

So now I'll run it without gdb and see what happens, as I know only too well sometimes the added code of a debug program can sometimes hide issues if you are very unlucky. However since you have had no other reports here I'm thinking it is probably good now  ;)

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2

anything