Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DVD player  (Read 14110 times)

dod

DVD player
« on: December 05, 2007, 08:44:07 PM »

Hello
I need a bit of advice. A DVD player I was thinking of buying is said to play JPEG DISC.MPEG4. Does this mean it will play divx/xvid ok

paul-49

Re: DVD player
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:58:37 AM »

Hello
I need a bit of advice. A DVD player I was thinking of buying is said to play JPEG DISC.MPEG4. Does this mean it will play divx/xvid ok

in a word No, it should say in the details that it plays xvid/divx files
I got this dvd player a few weeks ago,plays anything I put in it,(even has a usb socket) so you can put your films on a external hard drive or flash drive and it will play them
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(18730)SumVision-Lynx-HD-Upscaling-DVD-Player-with-HDMI.aspx

dod

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:00:20 AM »

I thought it was too good to be true. Thanks

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 12:06:23 PM »

One thing to remember with DVD players and divx/xvid files is that DVD players can only handle a maximum filesize of 1GB when reading from the DVD disk. Took me AGES to work this out four or five years ago - I thought for a while the DVD player was dodgy  :lol: It actually was dodgy but only in that it couldn't handle QPEL when it claimed it could.

DivX is an MPEG4 codec so in general (these days) if the DVD player says MPEG4 then it'll do DivX as it's one of the widest used codecs.

The model number of the DVD player you wanted to buy would have helped ;)

maxping

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »

I have a Yamada DVX 6600 and it plays everything i throw at it.
Movies straight off the PC burnt as data discs work perfectly.

EBay £33 new on "buy it now" - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-UMAX-YAMADA-7500X-DVD-PLAYER-DIVX-XVID-USB_W0QQitemZ230202502884QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3316QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Umax DVD players have a reputation for offering features rarely found on other machines and for doing it all at a low price as well.

The drive will play DivX files, MP4 files, normal DVDs, MP3 files and normal music discs

This machine will play all the standard discs (DVD movies, music CDs etc.). If you use your computer to put audio files, photos or movie files on a blank CD, blank DVD, USB memory drive or memory card the player will play those too.

As a unique bonus, you can have your CDs encoded (in real time) to a USB drive. This drive might be one you connect to your in-car sound system or even an MP3 player that doubles as a removable USB drive, enabling you to load the tunes straight on.

The player sports a metallic grey case with a modern mirror-effect front panel. The USB and memory card slots are on the front for easy access. The memory card slot supports SD, MMC and MS formats.

Region free.

Dimensions: 430 x 38 x 230mm

Video Output Connections:
- Composite video
- S-Video
- Y/Pb/Pr (Component)
- SCART

Progressive scan is supported

Sound Output Connections:
- Analogue decoded 5.1 audio (6 RCA phono sockets)
- Stereo audio
- Co-axial digital (PCM or raw)

Package Contents:
- Umax Yamada DVD-7500X Player
- Remote control & batteries
- Instructions in English, French & German
- AV lead (red, white & yellow RCA phono plugs)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 08:07:35 PM by maxping »

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 07:39:45 AM »

I have a Yamada DVX 6600 and it plays everything i throw at it.

I had one of those (still do somewhere). It was the first DivX/MPEG4 player I had - got it from Maplin I think.

It can't handle QPEL or packed bitstreams which was more than mildly annoying (recoding everything). That doesn't seem to be such an issue these days - I have no idea why :)

Edit - and it doesn't do AC3 audio from what I remember, it has to be mp3.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 07:42:16 AM by rizla »

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 05:57:35 PM »

While peering around the loft looking for Christmas decorations guess what I found? A Yamada DVX6600 :D
* rizla makes mental note to either tidy the loft or never look in it again :P

dod

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 01:22:32 AM »

Hello

in a word No, it should say in the details that it plays xvid/divx files
I got this dvd player a few weeks ago,plays anything I put in it,(even has a usb socket) so you can put your films on a external hard drive or flash drive and it will play them
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(18730)SumVision-Lynx-HD-Upscaling-DVD-Player-with-HDMI.aspx
Thanks for all the advice
I decided to buy the SumVision Lynx dvd player and it has worked well apart from the usb socket. I tried a flash drive with a divx file, the machine did not recognise the drive and when I selected the usb on a menu it said "not suported file". This same file is ok on the player when burned on to a disc, it also plays from the flash drive on another make of dvd player I have. Any idea why the SumVision does not like the file on the flah drive?

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 08:29:42 AM »

How is the USB device formatted? If there is an option to format the device from the Sumvision box then try that.

dod

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 08:47:50 PM »

I never even considered how the flash drive was formated, I just copied the files from my pc, it worked for my other dvd player. The file system is FAT and as far as I can see theres no option to format with the dvd player, any ideas

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 12:31:52 PM »

Do you have any other USB drives you could try? I assume not or you'd have probably said?

It is entirely possible the Sumvision unit is faulty and another drive might help to identify this. The other possibility is file size - how big is the DivX file you're trying to play?

dod

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 04:22:39 PM »

I'll get another  brand of usb drive and try it. If it's still not working I"ll report the player as faulty to microdirect and see what they say. The file size is 650MB.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 04:25:50 PM »

Just a thought - is there a USB 1.1 / 2 compatible issue here? Some drives are ONLY USB 2.0 - I don't know what the socket on the Sumvision player is... but it might only be USB 1.1, or it might only be USB 2, and your flash drive is 1.1....

Worth looking into?
Chris

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 04:58:59 PM »

The file size is fine. Returning it to Microdirect - well that's a different matter :( I always found that if you turned up in person then no probs but otherwise there always seemed to be some sort of "issue". The Caretaker (as was) on AG knew the owners and so I knew what name to drop ;)

Mr Chris is right although I find the idea of someone selling USB1.1 kit now rather scary. If that IS the problem then get rid of it as the video chipset will be ancient.

dod

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 10:36:09 PM »

Thanks both of you, I've a few things to look at now. I'll work my way down the list and see how I get on. I never thought this would be so complicated! I'll get back when I make some progress, one way or another.
Pages: [1] 2