Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bargain TP-link TD-W8961HD modem I found  (Read 12747 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Bargain TP-link TD-W8961HD modem I found
« on: November 23, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »

Driving slowly in traffic earlier today, I noticed this out of the corner of my eye in a charity shop window.

Had to go back later to have a look - it was a TP-Link  TD-W8961ND ADSL2+ N300 modem for £4 to the Cats Protection League!

How could I not buy that?

Do you reckon I got a bargain?  (No feline bias in your judgement here please, just cos the money went to cats  :D)

Argos sell that model modem, albeit with different case style, for £40.

And even if it doesn't work, I've got some more leads and a PSU to put in my shed  :lol:

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Bargain TP-link TD-W8961HD modem I found
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »

I'd say you got a bargain. You'll only know how well it works when you try it, but the spec looks good.
  Eric

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »

Well, it works!  Haven't had much of a play yet, but I connected it up, flashed it with the current firmware, got it to log on and I got comparable speeds to my existing DSL-2780.

I noticed 2 interesting things.  The new case design http://www.tp-link.com/common/subject/adsl/TD-W8961ND_TD-W8951ND/?siteid=1 as promoted on the TP-Link website, has lots of ventilation slots "for stability and performance."  They really sell that feature on their product page.  Why?  Cos after just 10 mins, this old case style is getting VERY hot indeed!  If I'm going to use it to any degree, I might have to do some mods to it!

Also noticed some instructions on the net to set it up to be a wireless to wireless bridge, so that in itself might be useful.

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:45:42 PM »

>>> (No feline bias in your judgement here please, just cos the money went to cats  :D)

I best not comment then  ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker