Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fault possibly returning?  (Read 7504 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Fault possibly returning?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »

I implore you, please stop mentioning performing a DLM reset, especially when conversing with your ISP. They don't like to activate resets for some reason.

Any ideas why that might be?

Is performing a DLM reset a time-consuming and/or costly process?
If so, could the cost be passed on to end users such as me who would love to know if our connections' speeds could sustain increased sync/througput speeds following a few months of apparent (& monitored) stability at lower speed?

FWIW, I have remotely monitored unlocked HG612 modems connected to ECI DSLAMS.
In every case, excessive RSCorr/FEC errors are seen and interleaving is usually applied after a while at various depths.

Although not able to monitor like for like, when the ECI modem is reinstated, it appears that higher sync speeds can be seen after a while (by monitoring BT's IP Profiles) & it appears that interleaving is lowered, or turned off completely for some connections.

See the attached 30 day recent stats from just such a connection.

To date, I have been unable to monitor an ECI modem connected to a Huawei DSLAM.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:49:41 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 06:12:17 PM »

Unfortunately, I have no idea why, BE ?

I'm guessing that protocols dictate, that DLM be allowed to operate untouched in order to truly stabilise the circuit. As we know, cross-talk induction from additional circuits being made live, do affect the line. You as an EU, will not have the necessary info regarding how many new live circuits have been added to the D-side cable, since your own base-line was set. I don't know if the ISP's have that info either ??? (nah nah .... I do though  :P) Therefore, your original speeds/stats could be quite a bit off the mark from what is truly achievable in the here and now ??

There would be meltdown if every EU were to ring and request a reset, each time DLM applied a profile cap.

As I say, this is only my guess. But I base it on the fact that even our own NGA Helpdesk operatives are told quite categorically not to perform a DLM reset adhoc, upon an engineer requesting it. There has to be a good reason for it, such as a definitive fault found and cleared. I also have that access, but have to fill a notes screen in giving reasons why I've requested an auto-reset of the DLM.   

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »

Unfortunately, I have no idea why, BE ?

I'm guessing that protocols dictate, that DLM be allowed to operate untouched in order to truly stabilise the circuit. As we know, cross-talk induction from additional circuits being made live, do affect the line. You as an EU, will not have the necessary info regarding how many new live circuits have been added to the D-side cable, since your own base-line was set. I don't know if the ISP's have that info either ??? (nah nah .... I do though  :P) Therefore, your original speeds/stats could be quite a bit off the mark from what is truly achievable in the here and now ??

There would be meltdown if every EU were to ring and request a reset, each time DLM applied a profile cap.

Maybe there wouldn't be quite such a meltdown if an "admin" charge could be applied via the ISP, say £10 or so.
Only the really adventurous/curious would be likely to stump up (in my humble opinion), but we do know what curiosity did to the cat, don't we ;)

As I say, this is only my guess. But I base it on the fact that even our own NGA Helpdesk operatives are told quite categorically not to perform a DLM reset adhoc, upon an engineer requesting it. There has to be a good reason for it, such as a definitive fault found and cleared. I also have that access, but have to fill a notes screen in giving reasons why I've requested an auto-reset of the DLM.   

yes, I have seen that first hand when a visiting engineer did some repair work, yet the "fibre centre" point blank refused to reset DLM, arguing over the phone with him that my connection could only ever have achieved lower speed due to distance from the cabinet.

That's all in the distant past now though.
I am finally "at peace" with my stable connection, albeit at fairly low speed (28Mb to 30Mb sync speeds).
even so, curiosity about actual D-side length, cable materials, how many users are connected in my vicinity etc. just won't quite let go.

I do believe I must have been one of the first (if not THE first) to be connected via my cabinet as FTTC wasn't supposedly available via the BT checker until a few weeks after I had it installed via Plusnet.

Plusnet's checker estimated only 14.6Mb, so I suppose I shouldn't really complain but..........

18 months down the line, I imagine quite a few users may now be connected (closer to the cabinet), but living in a semi-rural area inhabited in the main by slightly less young people, I imagine not too many follow the same D-side route as mine (whatever it actually is).

Back on topic, very interesting comment from the chief engineer's publication.
If only ISP helpdesk staff could mention things like that it may save a lot of grief for bewildered end users.

Of course, providing unlocked & accessible modems may have helped too, even if on a "read only" basis for the sections that "fiddlers" could/would mess up ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 06:59:50 PM »

LOL ...... I think the entire Kitz community are happy now that you "are at peace" with your circuit.  :lol: It's as well you weren't in the early stages, otherwise all your good work may not have come to light ???

Still ...... DLM remains a 'dark art' for the best of us !! ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 08:02:59 PM »

Still ...... DLM remains a 'dark art' for the best of us !! ;D

Dark? Bl00dy pitch black if you ask me  :-X

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »

. . . but we do know what curiosity did to the cat, don't we ;)

And he is still grumpy about it, to this day!  :crazy:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]