Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plusnet/Openreach FTTC install cw1308 up to nte5 ?  (Read 4990 times)

prettyflyguy

• Just arrived
Plusnet/Openreach FTTC install cw1308 up to nte5 ?
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »

Hi everyone

Looking for some info on whether my FTTC install was done correctly or corners cut and if it could cause interference/problems and affect my speeds on fibre?

Ordered Plusnet FTTC back in September with a new line provide as we are keeping the O2 line.  Still awaiting new line and for phone and fibre to be up and running, but that's another story.

Basically, when I moved here the NTE5 was in the back bedroom as this wall is where the drop wire attached to the property. 

When my O2 phone and broadband were moved to this address I had an engineer visit and he moved my line from the the bedroom to the sitting room.

So he ran some external cw1308 up side of building into the loft (now into bt80 box) and then internal cw1308 along loft down through ceiling into NTE5 in corner of sitting room. (roughly around 30m of both all in)

Now, when the 2 Openreach guys came for fibre install they said asked if I had the other engineer visit for the line to which I replied no.

They then told me that there were 2 appointments booked, one for phone and one for fibre but the phone visit had been booked for PM and fibre for AM when they checked  ::)  Asked for an earlier visit while they were there, which was granted but could take an hour or so.

(Did not matter in the end as he couldn't climb the pole)

In the meantime they then asked me where the drop wire came in and showed them where it was and where current NTE5 is and I also mention messy wiring in the loft.  Which they were good enough to fix and put the bt80 box in between jelly crimped wiring.

I checked this later and the cw1308 cable which was all loose on the loft floor had now been stapled to loft rafts.

Great I thought, as I meant to get round to doing this myself. On closer inspection the staples had crushed the cable quit badly, possibly damaged the twisted pairs?  :o

They then decided that as they were there before the phone engineer they would run the new VDSL NTE5 from the spare pair in my current ADSL NTE5 and site it right next to it and mount the modem too.

I thought that the line was supposed to be terminated as soon as it enters the property and VDSL NTE5 fitted at that point and then home wiring solution cable (which I ordered) ran from there to location needed.

I assume this cable is used for a reason and not cw1308?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

PFG

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Plusnet/Openreach FTTC install cw1308 up to nte5 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:03:09 PM »

Hi PFG,

It's difficult to comment on your actual installation without photographs and data on star wiring etc.

In general terms I would prefer to mount a brand new NTE5 and the appropriate integral filter faceplate immediately the cable is in the dry and close to a power point for the modem's PSU. I would far rather run a long ethernet cable from the modem to the router mounted just where you want it.

I suppose the BT home wiring is a simple solution the installation engineers can be trained to provide. However it seems extending the weak VDSL signals around a property instead of robust Ethernet ones with a range of 100 m is a poor design solution. Incidentally don't get caught out as I was last week testing the modem directly off the master socket with the extension cable still in place in a tangle of wires. The result is a poorer signal with signs of bridged tap conditions.

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:06:51 PM by waltergmw »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »

I concur with Walter on this. A series of well-taken photographs, along with a brief descriptive sentence for each, will allow us to make a good estimate of the current standard of your wiring.

Having also read your similar (but not entirely identical posting) to the ThinkBroadband fora, I am uncertain to the exact condition of the wiring.

Openreach technicians are provided with a staple gun for use on CW1308 wiring and the end result may look as if that wiring has been crushed. However, that is not a defect. I wonder if you are confusing the situation with the advice issued to technicians to not use their staple gun when installing Ethernet cable? It is in this latter case that problems can occur. The advice recommends the use of appropriate sized cable cleats when installing Ethernet cable.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »

I concur with Walter on this. A series of well-taken photographs, along with a brief descriptive sentence for each, will allow us to make a good estimate of the current standard of your wiring.

Having also read your similar (but not entirely identical posting) to the ThinkBroadband fora, I am uncertain to the exact condition of the wiring.

Openreach technicians are provided with a staple gun for use on CW1308 wiring and the end result may look as if that wiring has been crushed. However, that is not a defect. I wonder if you are confusing the situation with the advice issued to technicians to not use their staple gun when installing Ethernet cable? It is in this latter case that problems can occur. The advice recommends the use of appropriate sized cable cleats when installing Ethernet cable.

The cat is on the money yet again !! We can staple away to our hearts content with what I will call 'normalised telephony cable'. We are not supposed to use it when installing 'cat' cable, preferring the cleating method instead.

Some naughty lads though, will tweak their stapler to the minimum setting as it makes for a far neater job, a damn site more aesthetic than cleats bashed in every 12".  ;) :) I've yet to notice any difference from my tests before and after the cable run.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 03:06:57 AM »

Some naughty lads though, will tweak their stapler to the minimum setting as it makes for a far neater job

I seem to recall our Ezzer confessing to being one of the naughty crew . . .  :-X

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 07:30:43 AM »

It's one of those blanket decisions the hierarchy make, with the caveat, staples 'may' crush the inner cores.
Common-sense and attention to detail, dictate that doesn't happen with my workmanship. :) ........ and I'm guessing Ezzers as well ??

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 05:30:48 PM »

........ and I'm guessing Ezzers as well ??

Of that, I am certain.  :)

prettyflyguy

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 05:26:47 PM »

Sorry for the very late reply guys/girls  :-[ and thank you for the welcome.

Just thought I'd let you know what my stats are from the HG612. my estimate was 64Mb

Fibre been up and running for a week now, Engineer last week was only sent out for the telephone line connection but as was FTTC trained he set up the modem and router and showed me I was connected to the cab at around 80Mb odd at around 300m it.  Saved the details to his handheld JDSU?

Told me he tried to get the FTTC job allocated to him for sameday to close it off but they wouldn't allow it and it was booked out for following Friday ??? ??? (Today) He asked for that to be allocated to him as well.

Very helpful chap, put a good word in for him on http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/submitFeedback.do?contactReason=praise_engineer_for_work

So anyway he called this morning around 9:30 and asked how my fibre and line were? I said they seemed fine on my end. He said that he just had to do a few thing at the cab and that was the job finished.

All good, taken around 3pm Today

Although speeds Today on BT wholesale speed checker have not got above 40 odd Mb and further diagnostics always bring up error page.

So as the job is being closed off today does this mean that my "10 days training period starts today and not last week?

EDIT

Only now 18:05 pm just got my stats from btwholesale tester

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:05:44 PM by prettyflyguy »

anything