Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Microsoft Office Word 2003  (Read 13067 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Microsoft Office Word 2003
« on: November 20, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »

I have a problem with Word 2003, any doc I write appears in columns, I think I've probably done something to cause this but cannot think what or when, can anyone help please?

Also now when I use Word 2003 and Word 2007 I have to wait for it to install, is there any way I can avoid this?

Regards

Peter

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Microsoft Office Word 2003
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »

FWIW unless MS altered it in 2007, try looking for one of the Page Layout options.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »

I can't see any solution in Page Layout.

Took me ages to figure out what FWIW meant!! :-[ Had to google it.

Peter

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »

Is this happening on existing old files or just new plus recently created files? If the latter I would suspect a corrupt/changed default .dot file.

I don't understand what you are saying about Word 2003 and Word 2007. Are you trying to run both packages on one PC? If yes, why?

BBN   

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »

bbnovice,

It is happening with all docs excepting when using Letter Wizard templates.

Re 2003 & 2007 Word, it's a long story and I haven't the time or patience to go into it, but why shouldn't I use both or either?
I prefer the less fussy Word 2003 though.

Peter

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »

Hi Peter,

Sorry I have not got back to you but I've come down with the flu and am feeling pretty sorry for myself.

In theory Office 2003 and 2007 should coexist on the same machine, but in my experience you can often suffer odd issues when you attempt it. I have no end of bother getting ACCESS 2003 and 2007 to peacefully co-exist. Try looking at this for a possible fix:

http://uksbsguy.com/blogs/doverton/archive/2007/05/09/installing-office-2003-and-office-2007-on-the-same-system.aspx

Personally I would run only WORD 2007 but save files in 2003 format if you anticipate emailing them. Alternatively run 2003 with the Compatability pack installed.

BBN

PS - I think you may need to investigate the settings in the default template (normal.dot) in order to fix the columns problem as the wizard templates seem to be unaffected.   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:20:53 PM by bbnovice »

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 01:25:04 AM »

Sorry this is a bit short but only just come across the thread and now I simply just must go to bed, so in the mean time is this any help to you.

Faulty normal.dot file in Windows XP

The file called “normal.dot” is the default file used by MS Word when MS Word first opens.

To replace a faulty “normal.dot” file:
One option is to re-name or delete the file called “normal.dot”
MS Word will automatically re-create a "NEW" file with the same name but without any alterations that may have happened before.

First of all you need to select Show hidden files and folders
From the “Tools” menu in My Computer, select:
“Tools”, followed by, “Folder options”, then “View”, and then select, “Show hidden files and folders”

The “normal.dot” file can then be found in:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME HERE\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dot
Replace "YOUR NAME HERE" with the name of your default folder.

Or
Open a good file, then select "save as" (any name will do).
Now delete any text in this new file and save, then close word completely.

Go to where the normal.dot file is stored and re-name to “normal.old”.
Now move your new saved file into this same folder and re-name it to “normal.dot”

The normal.dot file is a system/hidden file so you will also have to change that setting before doing anythin.

Otherwise when you look at the toolbar in Word, look for the icon that looks like a book with 2 pages, if you click that it will open giving you more options, but you really need to delete the original default file if you don't know how to open the default file then save it the way you want, as in the example above.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:12:18 PM by oldfogy »

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »

Thanks everyone, before I try that last solution if I uninstalled Word 2003 and then reinstalled it, would that have the same effect?

Regards,

Peter

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »

Not necessarily, you never know what is left behind 'just in case of a re-install'

I know it's not always easy to find, but it's only the one file you need to remove, which will automatically replace itself.

Other than that open word, close the page that is showing then select open, you will need to change the type of files in the drop down box to '.dot' (or All Files) then navigate to where is is located and open it.

Don't forget to change the option to 'Show Hidden Files' etc (maybe even system files).

Edit,
Also select to show extensions so you are sure you are selecting the correct 'Normal.dot' file.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 12:55:38 PM by oldfogy »

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »

Peter,

Word 2003 MUST be installed BEFORE Word 2007 so just don't go installing/reinstalling 2003 willy nilly. This is from the official Microsoft support site accessed via the link I gave you earlier:

You can install and use more than one version of Microsoft Office on a single computer. For example, you can install and use both Microsoft 2007 Office suites and programs and Microsoft Office 2003 on the same computer. However, we do not recommend this.

Note Microsoft does not support using multiple versions of Microsoft Office on versions of Microsoft Windows that have Terminal Services enabled. If you want to run multiple versions of Office, disable Terminal Services.
Installation order
Note This installation order also applies to the Microsoft Office stand-alone products, such as Microsoft Visio.

If you want to install and use more than one version of Office on the same computer, use the following order.
Office Version   Installation Order
Microsoft Office 2000   First
Microsoft Office XP   Second
Office 2003   Third
2007 Office suites and programs   Fourth
You must install the earliest version of Office first. For example, if you want to use both Office 2003 and 2007 Office programs on the same computer, install Office 2003 first. You must use this order because of the way in which registry keys, shared programs, file name extensions, and other settings are managed for each version of the Office suites and programs.

Important If you remove one of the installed versions of Office, you may have to reinstall the remaining versions of Office in this order for each version to work correctly. 

As I said before running both versions concurrently is NOT good practice and neither is it recommended by Microsoft. But its up to you.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »

I'd agree that 2 different versions of Office dont always play nice with each other. 
I recall at one point trying to have 2 versions of M$ Access at one time because college insisted all assignments were in Office 2000 whilst I had Office 2003.  It caused a problem for so many students. :(  I know I did find some sort of solution in the end but it did take a heck of a lot of messing around and I only installed the minimum Access files and not the full suite to reduce the amount of conflicts.

I do understand what you mean about 'less fussy' 2003, but once you get used to the 'new' layout of 2007 it does actually seem more intuitive.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »

I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but all this talk of installing different versions just solve a 'Page Format' problem with the 'normal.dot' sounds way over the top, what happened to Keep It Simple?

Question,
Have you found the normal.dot file and either removed it or even tried to edit it?

Another way around this is, somewhere in kitz's file archives their is a tutorial on how to create your own personal word default page.
Although most of the instructions are the same as those I have already given in my earlier post.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 03:16:40 PM »

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't replied yet it's been a busy few days, I haven't yet tried of the solutions, I hope to be free tomorrow if all is quiet and peaceful.

Thanks all,

Peter

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »

Problem sorted folks, many thanks to all, including my son who helped me through it.
I should have said I'm not very technically minded, I too am an old un, Oldun,you obviously know what you are doing, if I did I wouldn't have got into this fix.

Best regards and thanks again.

Peter
Pages: [1] 2