Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "Official BT Speedtester results  (Read 3902 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
"Official BT Speedtester results
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »

Gentlefolk,

I thought you might be interested to see how one of our VDSL lines looks in the latest version of the Official BT Speed tester. I am not too amused by the ridiculous acceptable speed ranges on the download. (Note at the moment the upstream is capped to 2 Mbps but we live in hope that it can be regraded to 5 Mbps.)

This is followed by a picture of the same test on one of our other lightening fast "up to 80 Mbps" VDSL services. It seems as if BT are too embarrassed to admit that long lines in the sticks can't cut the mustard.

I believe that the BT Speed test can now be repeated after 10 minutes instead of an hour, but I've yet to test that fully.

Kind regards,
Walter

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:55:43 PM by waltergmw »

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Re: "Official BT Speedtester results
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:33:20 PM »

I may be very wrong but I believe those results are not from the "official" BT speed test site. You are using the old BT sites which are still available for some reason?

Can I ask which web URL you got those results from? I have not been able to get those old style best effort stats from BT for some weeks now.

I think you need to go to diagnosticsDOTbtDOTcom to get the "official" tests.  Tests from that site are immediately repeatable (at least they are for my BT 80/20 VDSL connection)

Regards BB   

EDT:

I think I have answered my own question. You are using speedtesterDOTbtDOTcom with Java enabled and selected the diagnostics. I've not used that site since upgrading to 80/20 as the speed test is beta for speeds above 24mbs. I also no longer run with JAVA enabled. However I still think that diagnosticsDOTbtDOTcom is now the home of the official site. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:02:44 PM by bbnovice »

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »

BTW, if its any consolation my IP Profile downstream is 55Mbs and the connection is normally stable at 51Mbs. However the upstream profile is 20Mbs but I'm usually lucky to get 10Mbs which is only a slight improvement on the old BT 40/10 service. The upstream speed is nowhere as good as I expected - or was predicted by BT - but I'm happy to live with it although I only live a few hundred metres from the cabinet.

Regards BB     
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:56:36 PM by bbnovice »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »

I have tried
diagnosticsDOTbtDOTcom
by substituting the DOT with a full stop (period) and get a page that says It Works!.
That is the default page for a newly installed Apache Website.  ???
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »

Try http://diagnostics.bt.com/speedtest/ and I think you will find the correct page loads. You can also get this BT speedtester which worked for me OK.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »

Thank you Stuart.
The first one points to a Beta speed tester, which I have used and it always gives superb speed results ;)
The second one pints to the 'Official' speed tester which is the one that BBN hasn't used for a while. I always use that one, and Speednet.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Greybeard33

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »

See the attached screengrab for an even more ridiculously pessimistic "acceptable range of speeds" - 12Mbps-0Mbps for my 1km-ish line for which the DS Max Attainable is normally in the range 42000-48000kbps and which currently has a sync speed of 40000kbps (capped, I suspect, by the DLM banded profile).

Back in July, the tester gave the Max Achievable as 38.72 (same as the IP Profile) and the acceptable range as 12-38.72, so either a bug has crept into the tester or it has been "got at"!

BTW, the alternative tester that bbn refers to (on the BT Retail website) does not work for me - "we haven't been able to complete the speed test at this time" - , possibly because I choose to use my own router rather than the buggy BT Retail-supplied HH3. It links me to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com instead, which is functionally the same as http://speedtester.bt.com .

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »

There is, quite clearly, a coding error present.  ::)

How long it will take the relevant Beattie department to fix, who knows?  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.