Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: think i have a line problem  (Read 6619 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: think i have a line problem
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »

As mentioned earlier about the modem needing two attempts to synch, I'd noticed something similar on my TalkTalk supplied DSL-2780, running the current 2.02t TT firmware.

In fact, on my DSL-2780, it actually reboots between the initial attempt and the second one - if you're quick you can get into the web interface, be looking at the line stats, then find yourself disconnected from the modem as it restarts!  Once it's done that it's very stable, so I don't think it's a fault as such.

I wondered if this was more of a bug than intentional.

Ian

bazer

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »

thanks for all your comments etc tt email is not notifying me of new posts at the moment so sorry for the delay in answering , has any one ever used the Siemens router supplied at one point could never find it on their website , also do you recommend the dsll 2780 I have the 2680 might try and get tt to supply me with another any suggestions on which ones , my gut feeling is if I was with BT would they do an end to end line test as per say or be hard work like tt , I do feel sorry for some people with no Tec background I keep you posted but I monitor  9db profile for a week and then go for a 6 db target thanks again baz

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 11:59:13 AM »

Do I recommend the DSL-2780?

It works for me!  Gives me good line speeds, though I've not compared it to many other modems, and I'm pretty close to the exchange.

It's got Wireless N-300 built in, though the radio iPlayer to my (rather old now) Nokia 5800 stutters sometimes - don't know what's up exactly but it's too intermittent to easily trace.  Could be the phone or the modem causing problems.

And it doesn't like Routerstats plotting a graph for too long - the web interface freezes and won't respond, though the rest of the modem functionality continues working.  Reboot fixes this.

Summary : it works adequately, I've nothing much to complain about!

Ian

bazer

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »

ok ive connected the dlink 2680  has a standard dlink f/ware but in the advanced adsl setup ive configured it to adsl 2 not the auto sync and the s/ n ration is better being 40 db as  to 43 db when set to auto sync here are router stats lite dont know what the sudden blip was but was streaming at the time baz
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:33:58 AM by bazer »

bazer

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 10:47:54 AM »

Here are some stats from my netgear dg834g v 3 with latest firmware seems stable but what are the blips on the downstream s/ n ratio also, line attenuation is recorded as 38 db. Is this a bug with the router also compared to the other routers these stats on the tx s/n ratio are stable love some feedback baz

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »

Those big blips going down to zero are almost certainly incorrect reporting. Sometimes it happens that Routerstats is unable to collect a sample because the router is busy on other tasks at the time; when this happens, RS reports zero values.

The smaller blips of 2-3 dB are some sort of electrical interference, and tracing their origin can give you many happy hours of frustration. A process of elimination is needed.
  Eric

bazer

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »

strange this  dg834g is the only router that reports these blips , if you look at the other stats you can see that these do not blip on the rx s/ n ratio baz

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 12:48:16 PM »

The DG834G is rather an old model, and it's not surprising that it should sometimes by busy when RS is requesting a sample from it. If the smaller blips only occur with this router, that may indicate something failing in the router (leaky capacitors for example) or a defective power supply. If you can get hold of a different power supply for it, with the same voltage and current capacity, it would be worth swapping them just to test this possibility.
  Eric

bazer

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »

changed p supply thinks it the same isnt the netgear dg834pn even older shall i stay with the dlink 2680 for stats , also does anyone have any info the siemens router tt supplied and flashing the firmware for it , thanks baz
Pages: 1 [2]

anything