Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Rats Tail..?

(1/2) > >>

snadge:
can anyone tell me what is  RATS TAIL and the purpose of it?

see pic below, it has been used with a splitter and filter to separate the voice and dsl but still continue too carry them along the same extension cable to the router in other room? - what is the point of this and why cant a splitter be used in the other room?

Ezzer:
From what I can make out you have some extention leads for your normal voice telephony (PSTN/POTS) all connected via the PSTN output of the filter, thats good.

you want as much of any internal wiring to be connected via a filter. The adsl output of the filter is unfiltered so it allows the dsl signal unhindered to go straight through.

the filtering is to obscure any electrical noise in the same frequency as dsl to make itself heard to the router & exchange.

The easyest dsl fault an engineer gets is where the router isn't syncing. Its plugged into a filter ok. But the filter in plugged into and extention lead, and at the other end of the extention lead its plugged into another filter. Into the PSTN output.

I would walk into a property, see an extention plugged into a filter. the router is at the other side of the room, obviously plugged into the other end of the extention via another filter. remove the filter by my feet and hey presto sync. Leaves some time to tweek what wiring there is there.

The look of your set-up is venerable. for your normal telephony. In the short term if thats your filter plugged directly into the NTE test socket and the router is plugged into the filters dsl out put with everything else through the pstn output, then you should be ok as far as DSl is concerned.
For the mid to long term I would look to do some snipping & reterminating via a SSFP face plate to tidy some of this up.

Black Sheep:
Yes .......... and stop biting your nails !!  :lol:

snadge:
ok, thats not my nails lol... its not my setup either, it someone else's.

so basically you mean electrical noise from the Phone? - because as you say in the above setup you have (from the filter and splitter) one pair carrying a phone signal (POTS/PSTN) and another pair carrying both 'unfiltered' Phone & DSL (but the phone signal in that pair is not used) both pairs and signals are carried all the way along into the living room where there is another bit of obscure wiring going on consisting of one of these "rats tails" (I think) , in this living room both the phone and router are fed... so whats the point of splitting them at the entry point?-  if any electrical noise is going to get into those cables it wont matter whats in which pair will it? because they are in the same cable they are both likely to be affected? I could understand if the modem was used at NTE-5 and phone in other room...but its not.

just cant make any sense of it (yes Iam a thicko..lol)  :blush:

the setup above still carries both signals along the same cable.

(in same cable)
NTE-5 -> FILTER -> PSTN---->EXTENSION CABLE TO LIVING ROOM--->PHONE
                 |-----> DSL----->EXTENSION CABLE TO LIVING ROOM--->ROUTER

here you can see below in living room he has used another RATS TAIL (allowing router to be plugged in) and SPLITTER (allowing phone to be plugged in)

seems absolutely POINTLESS and MESSY ..lol

burakkucat:

--- Quote ---seems absolutely POINTLESS and MESSY

--- End quote ---

Agreed. It is!  :)

Should really be something like:

--- Quote ---                          /---- xDSL service in one pair of cable -----------------------------------|
NTE5/A -- SSFP                                                                                          Pair of sockets, one RJ11 (or RJ45)
                         \                                                                                         and one 'BT' , in the 'living room'.
                           \---- PSTN (POTS) service in another pair of above cable -----|

--- End quote ---

But you knew that, anyway!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version