Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Testing the Huawei HG610V  (Read 9040 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Testing the Huawei HG610V
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »

I decided to start a new thread for this router.... here is what I wrote in the other thread-

Well I am now running on the HG610V and it seems fine. However the stats reported by the telnet commands are rubbish with huge values in some places which persist even after a power cycle. Also at least for this one the Reboot option on the web pages does not seem to do anything. The speed and snrm values seem in line with the HG612. The GRC Shields Up page indicates total stealth so the firewall is working.

Anyway I'll leave it running for now and see how it does.

Stuart

Update: I just ran an xdslcmd info --reset to clean out the bad data from the downstream stats and so far it has not returned.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Testing the Huawei HG610V
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »

Further to the stats it now seems that only some of the bitloading tones have bad values which seem persistent after an info reset, so far all the other values which were in huge have not returned. With regard to the bitloading data the 'bad' values are repeated for all the tones not used so the value shown for each not used tone is 4294967294 (or FFFFFFFE in hex).

Stuart
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:28:25 PM by broadstairs »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 11:23:50 AM »

>>> or FFFFFFFE in hex

... which possibly started life as -2.

Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »

Thanks Stuart for starting this thread, Im sure many people will find comparisons interesting.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:42:26 PM »

Would someone with one of these working on an FTTC line be as kind to post the settings I need to input on my 610? I've never had to setup an alternative VDSL2 modem for FTTC so it's really new. Ideally I'd like to get the settings in and saved, then just swap it over with the ECI... which I then intend to get into the guts of  >:D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:44 AM »

Sorry I dont have VDSL so cannot help with that.

As to the ADSL2+ performance the router has now been up just over 24 hours. What I have noticed is that the snrm dropped a little lower last night than happened with the HG612, and this morning has only recovered to about 4.8db. Initially it sync'd at about 6.4db and dropped last night to around 3db before recovering this morning a bit. I do not intend to do anything for a few days and see how it goes.

In the Broadband forums it has been suggested that one could install the HG612 firmware into the 610V to see what if any difference it made and I may consider trying this much later.

As an aside it would be great if Eric could modify rs-ux to allow logging the values as well as snapshots since a log would be easier to see max/min values.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:50 AM »

>>> modify rs-ux to allow logging the values as well as snapshots since a log would be easier to see max/min values.

I've already added a feature to display max and min values of the SNRM when you right-click on the SNRM graph, and a button beside each value allows you to jump to that place on the graph. I haven't released that version yet, because I'm still hoping to get to the bottom of the occasional freeze which has been reported.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »

Eric if you would like me to test it for you let me know ....  ;)

Been out all day, went to Howletts and the sun was out all day - well until it went down at 16:06  >:D why do we have to change the clocks? Anyway just got round to checking the stats and the snrm has dropped to 2.1db AFAIK much lower than the HG612 but it's still up and running.....

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »

Well this morning it still up, 2 days now, but the snrm this morning is only about 3.4db which indicates that this router either does not recover well or the 612 calculates the snrm wrong!

I've had an email from Mickey (who was selling them) to say he has flashed the 610 with the 612 firmware and it seems to work so I will definitely have a go at that later if only to see what happens to the snrm. For now I'll leave it for a few more days unless I get any dropouts which will prompt me to try the update.

I certainly dont seem to have any problems using the net which is good and speed test looks good for this connection at 7.46mbps wired.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 03:13:32 PM »

I have discovered that I had bit swapping and sra enable on the 610V which I did not have on the 612, so they have been set off and the bitloading values are now normal with zeros where appropriate, after the router did a re-sync because of the changes I found that I had to issue the xdslcmd info --reset again to clean out the bad values in the other stats. Anyway it's now running wit an snrm of around 6db and will see how it goes over the next day or so.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »

Ah, I was wondering about those settings! In true cowardly kitten mode, I decided to wait for someone to perform the experiments.  :D

You now should be presented with a silver star, to show your recognised pioneer status.  :thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 07:27:33 PM »

>>> You now should be presented with a silver star, to show your recognised pioneer status.

Indeed, yes. :)

But I'm a bit surprised that your 612 (and perhaps the 610V) works well with bitswapping disabled. It's enabled on mine, and a lot of bitswapping takes place. It's always been my understanding that bitswapping is almost essential to maintain a stable connection. SRA, on the other hand, isn't used by any UK ISP as far as I know, so enabling or disabling it should make no practical difference.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 07:36:06 PM »

Well further to all this testing I had a problem tonight with CRCs and FECs going mad in the 1000's per minute and the link almost useless. I rebooted but it still played up so I have for now swapped back in the HG612 and so far it has behaved itself. Not so far been able to determine whether the errors were genuine as the whole shebang started while we were out and on my return I did not notice as I was busy re-assembling another PC, however my wife DID notice!! Anyway since swapping back the 612 it has behaved. However the 612 did behave perfectly for 22 days straight!

My feeling right now is that there are problems with the 610V especially with the stats as already reported. I am now wondering if the time is right to flash it with the 612 firmware and test it again. Also I have no idea whether or not right now to turn on bitswapping. It worked on the HG612 for 22 days without it and no apparent problems. I think I will wait for  couple of days with the 612 back in and see if it behaves before making any further moves.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 10:45:10 PM »

Also I have no idea whether or not right now to turn on bitswapping. It worked on the HG612 for 22 days without it and no apparent problems.

Sorry to labour the point, but how did you determine that bitswapping was off?
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »

Also I have no idea whether or not right now to turn on bitswapping. It worked on the HG612 for 22 days without it and no apparent problems.

Sorry to labour the point, but how did you determine that bitswapping was off?

Eric the web page for both routers has a check box for each option, bitswapping and SRA. I have no idea how to actually see if this is working or not.

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2

anything