Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: intermittent failure to connect  (Read 20103 times)

mcbazza

• If it wasn't for Virgin Media, I'd be gaming.
    • Old Aged Playstationers
Re: intermittent failure to connect
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2007, 08:37:38 PM »

You're welcome.

Whilst looking around the net to find out more about what a BAM was, I've actually found a little utility called BazzasGoodBAMFinder! :D

Download it at http://bazza.dyndns.org/files/BazzasGoodBAMFinder.zip
Hope that's helpful for you. By the way it'll only work with a Netgear DG834G/GT or a USB modem.
Woot!! I'm famous!
That's my script!! And bazza.dyndns.org is the address of my Apache server running on this PC at home.

Re-worked it this morning. Now it supports any ADSL modem/router that allows telnet.

Tried and tested on my Belkin 7633.
I'll make it available for download soon, once I'm happy it's stable.

Baz/Bazza/mcbazza *
* take yer pick

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2007, 10:34:06 PM »

Welcome Baz, nice to see you here.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2007, 02:28:43 AM »

Welcome baz.

Good to see you here... In actual fact I have actually seen several of your posts elsewhere regarding the "VM situation" and have the greatest respect for what you have tried to do under the circumstances.

I also seem to recall a post of yours about BAMs which I nearly did respond to, but I abstained at the last moment as I thought you'd done a grand job as it was... but if I look on my (overcrowded) desktop there is still a "notepad" draft there regarding authentication :D
iirc there was also a ps about how your "resume" was so similar to my own circumstances as to why I also got involved into the depths of trying to understand adsl.

Thanks for the BAM stuff and please do feel free to keep us updated on any developments on the BAM finder.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mcbazza

• If it wasn't for Virgin Media, I'd be gaming.
    • Old Aged Playstationers
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 07:59:05 AM »

Here's a bit of fun for you.

I run my own 24/7 monitoring for throughput/latency/loss/dns/speed/etc.
Click on the 'Year' link, and see if you can tell when I joined Virgin Media's ADSL service!?!?

But, don't phone in. It's just for fun!   :D

And on another side note - VM have definately done something to their network as of this weekend (since Friday?). As since then, latency has improved, but, stability for gamers has fallen drastically - try as I might last night, I couldn't get a decent game of CoD4 on PS3 with my buddies. Kept being booted from the network. And, if you did manage to stay in a game it was laggy as hell. Despite all the stats showing it should be good.
Fellow gamers on the VM forum @ ThinkBroadband reported the same.

My latency monitoring charts were previously showing  that latency (at peak - evenings/weekends) would stay at 280ms for the duration. But, over the weekend just gone there were only occasional spikes (perhaps lasting 20-40mins). It's almost as though they've instigated some kind of job that goes round the 'BAM's kicking off the bandwidth hogs - But, I can't back that theory up.

Tried an online support call (via the web interface - I'm not daft enough to pay 25p/min!), but, they wouldn't admit to anything - whoever made the changes @ VM, probably hasn't communicated it to the lower ranks.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2007, 11:10:05 AM »

As I started this thread, I thought I would toddle along and bring you up to date on my probs. and solution.

Come back with me to the 28th October. Switched on PC and noticed that the adsl light on the modem was flickering. That day and for the next four days it would flicker for some two and a half hours, then it would stabilise and I could connect.
Over the next week, that period of flickering gradually reduced, one hour, fifteen minutes, a couple of mins until on the 10th November, glory be, instant stable light on switch on, but....................that is when the dreaded 0734 errors started. I would try anything up to fifteen times before getting a connection.

I then posted my prob here, and at the same time shot off a mail to VM, complaining of their poor service and of having been duped by them into calling out a BT engineer at cost to myself. I demanded my MAC.

Seven days later, no MAC so remailed VM. No response, so after taking advice here, shot off a log of woe and formal complaint to OFCOM, copied to VM.

But, during the period from my first mail to VM, until now I can connect instantly, there have been no dropped connections and all web pages that I visit, e-mails etc are going faster than I have ever before experienced them.

But still no MAC. Instead a phone call from a VM bod (with a strong Lancashire accent............have you had a hand in this Kitz ?? ) during which I agreed to a new set of rules and a "probationary" period in that I am now on a month-on-month contract, with immediate termination if I wish, and an extendive period of FREE service from VM.

I happy for the moment, I have a fast service, it is currently reliable, I have avoided the hassle of changing ISP with it's attendant fiddling with log-in details etc and upsetting of my contacts. and it is free.

Will see how things go in future.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 11:42:57 AM »

Forgot to say above (  :blush: :blush: ) that my complaint to Ofcom has been withdrawn.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2007, 11:58:32 AM »

Glad you managed to reach a satisfactory conclusion tufted :)

And welcome aboard, Bazza! Stick around and join the party ;)
Chris

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2007, 02:13:11 PM »

nice 1 tufty  :thumbs:
Paul
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]