Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre roll-out  (Read 2519 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Fibre roll-out
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »

Taken from our national staff mag .....

'New government measures to fast track the rollout of super-fast broadband in the UK, have been welcomed by BT.

The plans to cut 'red-tape' include the installation of broadband street cabinets and other infrastructure without the need for prior approval from the local council - except in sites of special scientific interest.

Tim O'Sullivan (BT Director of public affairs) comments, " BT is already rolling out fibre broadband at record pace, but there are a variety of issues that can sometimes slow us down and cause frustration for those consumers and businesses who are keen to get fibre broadband. We are pleased that the government acknowledges those barriers and also that it shares out ambition that as many people as possible can benefit from the high-speed fibre revolution".

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Fibre roll-out
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »

Thanks for that info BS.

>> without the need for prior approval from the local council

I cant help but wonder where that leaves BT now in the likes of Kensington and Chelsea.
Wonder if this now gives BT the green light in those areas, to stick 2 fingers up at the council and just go do it.

A BT spokesman said: "We can confirm we have ceased deployment of fibre broadband in Kensington and Chelsea. This is unfortunate but we were left with no option after having the vast majority of our applications rejected by the council

From the Independant
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »

Not being fortunate to reside in either districts, I wouldn't know, Kitz.  ;D

Perhaps if I keep plugging away at the overtime ....... ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »

heh.. I think it may take more than a bit of overtime  :lol:

It will be interesting to see though, what does happen in those 2 particular areas. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Given THREE planning blunders and a fourth cabinet not sympathetically placed in Ewhurst, I would only welcome removal of the "Red Tape" if BT and their contractors were obliged to seek guidance from local residents or PCC members who comprehend what is involved.

It might be expected that St.Albans residents might agree with these sentiments too !

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100668875/BT-St-Albans-Blunder

Kind regards,
Walter

anything