Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Broadband Regenerators - May happen ??  (Read 5330 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:34:12 PM by kitz »

gouledw

Re: May happen ??
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »

i've asked the service personnel that are working on my case to look into this as well ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 02:28:25 PM »

I've only just come across this, Ed, or I'd have mentioned it in our PM exchanges earlier today.  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:29:15 PM »

the technology, which requires Regenerators to be “placed in or near a [street cabinet]” (some new kit is also require at the exchange), could be used

Since the laying of fibre optic cable is supposed to be the major expense with FTTC, I wonder what the cost savings would be and how viable it is on long lines.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »

I wouldn't know tbh, Kitz ?? Maybe one of the proper electronic whizzez on here will know how to 'clean and retransmit' a signal, and the aproximate cost of such a unit ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: BT Broadband Regenerators - May happen ??
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »

From PC Pro

Trials of the device in Cornwall have seen speeds boosted from low hundreds of kilobits per second to three or four megabits per second,

..// snip //..

One Broadband Regenerator device - which sits in BT's underground ducts - can serve up to four premises, although the device requires an extra copper pair to provide its power. That could prove a limiting factor on those long ADSL lines, where available copper pairs are already at a premium.

BT said the device is still being trialled and wasn't willing to discuss costs or a target launch date.

PS.  Moved this  thread to broadband Technology as it could prove an interesting discussion. :)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:45:10 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

gouledw

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »

BS, I saw this post on Saturday so forwarded it to Martin whos dealing with my case

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/11/bt-broadband-regenerators-to-boost-adsl-isp-service-speeds-and-reach.html

Edited by Admin to change topic title

I seem to recall Snadge started a similar thread back in the summer. ('What summer?', you may ask.)  :hmm:  Hmm . . .

Ah! Found it -- ISPs may be able to use Amplifiers in or near PCP to boost ADSL...;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »

Great memory B*Cat.

Jonny's last comment on that particular thread may prove incorrect, as FTTC/VDSL also has a loss-limit when transmitted over the existing D-sides, and it isn't that far (approx 2Km being the furthest I've personally seen synch, and a lot of the cable was 0.9). If they can 'Clean and retransmit' ADSL frequencies, they surely must be able to perform the same with VDSL ??

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 03:02:42 AM »

If it happens, I can't see it becoming a panacea for all those EUs with long metallic pathways -- either both E+D-sides, on ADSL or just D-sides, on VDSL2 -- due to requirement to install yet more equipment 'out on the street'.

Surely, at some stage, the 'bean counters' will eventually realise that Directors' bonuses and shareholders' dividends need to be £0-00 for the next 50 years and all metallic E-sides should be withdrawn, to be replaced by fibre optic feeds. Once that has been done nation-wide, then all EO lines should be replaced by fibre optic to the premises. The final step would be to withdraw all metallic D-sides, giving the entire nation a full fibre fed service.

Yes, I am aware of the 'squawks of shareholders'. But I wonder if they really realise what in which it is that they hold a share? Certainly not this nation's communications core network. (Look very closely and you will see a shadow cast by GCHQ.) At best they own a share of the Newgate Street building, Buzby, Ian Livingston, his suit, office desk and chauffeur driven car, along with Beattie Wholesale and Retail.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »

I tend to agree, which is why my immediate thought was about the cost savings when compared to vdsl.

Whilst a large chunk of FTTC is the cable, the downside of the regenerators is the need for a spare pair for each four lines.
This may not be a problem in some areas, but I can imagine it being so in others.  If you have even a relatively small hamlet/estate/whatever, then the spare pair requirement could soon add up and become a problem in itself. 

If each regenerator can also only serve 4 lines, then the amount of regenerators required and the amount of available spare pairs needs to be carefully costed against that of fibre.  Since no £ figures are available we can only speculate. 

Whilst this may be a solution for say the odd farm houses scattered in the middle of no-where  But I can see there being cases where FTTC may actually turn out to be more economic in the long term.
-----

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 02:53:03 AM »

the term "regenerator" seems to suggest that it works like adding a device (halfway possibly) along the line and resolves the connection there (instant double speed or thereabouts) and then re-transmitting from that point, whilst possibly increasing power to some degree to increase the SNR allowing more bit-loading??

I would like to find out more about how it works.
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

anything