Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: why transfer to fibre?  (Read 9322 times)

iwasnotoffside

• Just arrived
why transfer to fibre?
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:43:43 AM »

Hi, I get download speeds of about 5.5mbs and I am a light home user browsing (about 10gb per month), streaming music and tv catch-ups from the likes of bbc iplayer.    So, what benifit is there in signing up for fibre as it will cost me an extra £12 per month?  Thanks.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: why transfer to fibre?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »

That's got to be the hardest question on planet Earth, to answer. If you are happy with what you have (speedwise) at the moment, then why change ?? I also don't know your financial circumstances, so £10 a month to you may be a kings ransom ??
I don't want to sound flippant here, just trying to point out that only you know what you want out of a Broadband product, and what you are willing to pay for that product !.

FWIW, if you can stream without buffering, then stay as you are. :)

smucat

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:27:11 PM »

It's whether you can resist the temptation of all those "go faster than the Jones'/ flat 6/ Bolt" TV ads. With a certain well-known ISP, on the day, you will get lightning bolts from the sky and prancing unicorns in your back yard, and an Openreach engineer poking about with your wiring. With the rollout of 'YouView' set top boxes, there will be more 'catch-up' TV with more bandwidth to be streamed. But as already said, if YOU don't need it yet, then no need to upgrade.

If you do upgrade, check that you have the latest wireless standard (802.11n) on your computer, although a hard-wired connection is recommended. Consider that you may want a new computer at extra cost to benefit. Check the other forums on here as there are people far better qualified (than I) to advise... 

If you are changing provider at the same time, then you may get 6 months free, as there are lots of incentive packages available!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 09:47:59 PM »

I shall now stick my paw in and stir the water somewhat.

I could have had an Openreach NGA GEA based VDSL2 ('fibre') service installed over a year ago but I did not because:

(1) I am quite content with the bandwidth that I can achieve with my ADSL2 connection.  :)

(2) I do not need an Openreach technician to 'fiddle-faddle' with my wiring in The Cattery:no:  I shall wait for the 'wires only' / 'self install' to become the norm.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

smucat

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »

It appears that Openreach do not always have the time or inclination to quote 'fiddle-faddle' very much, as when my 30-year plus, dropwire corroded, they did not want to enter my loft space and thus put an external gel joint close to the barge-board. An old bakelite block term remains in my loft with the remainder of the dropwire. It does make me wonder if that should be changed out?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »

It does make me wonder if that should be changed out?

In theory, to a perfectionist, yes.  :D

If you can access the end of the new drop-cable, have access to the appropriate methods of jointing thereof and a contiguous length of CW1308 cable, then it is a little job for one afternoon -- when nothing else takes your fancy.  :angel:

As a bonus, you may notice an improvement in your broadband service . . .

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »

It appears that Openreach do not always have the time or inclination to quote 'fiddle-faddle' very much, as when my 30-year plus, dropwire corroded, they did not want to enter my loft space and thus put an external gel joint close to the barge-board. An old bakelite block term remains in my loft with the remainder of the dropwire. It does make me wonder if that should be changed out?

It isn't a case of 'not wanting to', we aren't allowed to. It falls under their H&S remit under 'confined spaces'. No doubt a major debate will thus ensue regarding this, but at the end of the day, them's the rules.
Any engineer caught doing otherwise, or god forbid, had an accident whilst carrying out unsafe working practices, would most likely be tin-tacked before you could say "Why wont you go in my loft ?". That's a livelihood, and possible employer contributed pension payments lost (ie- the 2/3 BT pay in) for a foolhardy error of judgement.

I've said it on here a million times before, just because it doesn't appear to the average layman, that what we are doing makes any sense, doesn't mean we've all been labotomised. There is 99% of the time a very good reason behind everything we do.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 08:57:32 AM »

@ BS,

Hear hear  !!

That said, I have known a few cases where some judicious liaison between said BT employees and the end users have resulted in excellent engineering solutions as well !

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »

Thank you Walter.

I do agree with you as well. Sometimes local on-site EU knowledge, coupled with other 'unknowns' (ie- possible future building modifications in the immediate area, etc), all play a part in resolving situations amicably.

As always, there is the odd occasion where obstination on the EU's part, H&S rulings, Ofcom rules and so on, can inhibit the job progression. EU's are all individuals, and what may appease one, may inflame another. It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it !! It's ok to cry folks, it's the career I chose.  :lol:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 09:35:55 AM »

Just realised we've wandered OT here. Apologies to the OP. :)

iwasnotoffside

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »

Yes bit of wondering but thank you for all your comments.
I think I'm going to stick with AdSL for a bit longer as it does meet my current needs and then maybe in 12 months time give it another think.
Might sign up for Napster next....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 08:38:57 PM »

I think I'm going to stick with AdSL for a bit longer as it does meet my current needs and then maybe in 12 months time give it another think.

Yes, that is exactly how I am 'playing it'. (Whilst waiting for self-install to become available.  ;)  )

smucat

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 12:32:53 PM »

@ BS

May I plead forgiveness for even daring to mention such confirmed spaces :blush:
In fairness, the engineer did explain that it was verboten to enter said spaces and he qualified his solution of jointing the dropwire at the gable, by the test results, which indicated that the break/resistance problem was between the DP (pole) and the premises, rather than inside the loft.

I think I have 7 out of my 9 lives left, so I could still wonder what might have happened if the break had been in the loft. Would I still have a phone service? ::) ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 07:13:09 PM »

Im also unsure what to do, FTTC came here a few weeks ago.

The geekiness in me wants it..  but just right now I dont know if I can justify the additional cost.  Im also concerned about the wiring because I dont have any power sockets in the hall where my NTE5 is.   Ideally I'd want the modem in my PC room (upstairs) and not sure how an engineer would act on this since the copper pair is UG and comes straight up and then through the hall wall at the side of the house.

My existing 21 Mb down and 2.6 up meets most my existing requirements quite nicely. The vast majority of my bandwidth is streaming which works fine.  The additional upstream sure would come in handy when working on this site though.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »

Ha ha ..... as a fully paid-up member of the under-valued telecoms engineer, I do feel I have to point out these little known facts from time-to-time. Just because we work for BT does not a) mean we are your slave, and b) allow you to talk to us like something you've trodden in.

Obviously not you, smucat, I mean as in the 'royal' you !! If we say we can't climb a pole because it's been classified as a 'D-Pole' (Dangerous), please don't then tell all and sundry that we couldn't be arsed to climb it.
When we state our policy is to surface mount internal wiring, don't go off on one at us ..... those are the rules.
If you see us parked up in the van, don't take offence when we can't just drop everything to nip round to your house because you phone isn't working. We need a specific job to work to.

There's countless occasions I could quote personally, regarding scenario's similar to the above, and more. As could most OR guys and gals. One such occasion was years ago, when I visited a premises on an 'Installation Task' at a large (posh) residential premises. After introductions, I asked where the socket was to be fitted ??, "Dont you know" ?? was the reply !! Now I've worked at BT for 25yrs, but never had the pleasure of completing 'The Kreskin Module'.

Once the lady of the manor had worked out it was her decision as to where the socket was going, she proceeded to tell me that no wires should be on show. I explained that there would be an overhead wire from the pole to the house, and that I could run it right around the perimeter to the room the socket was required in. Not a chance she told me. I said I could run it internally, and proceeded to work out the course of the cable 'run', explaining as I was going.
She then decided to lose it with me, telling me I was no good at my job and to get out of her house. I must admit, I wasn't expecting that, but nonetheless, left her house asap. I don't know if she thought we had magic sockets, or what ??

The laboured point I'm making is, as with anybody you talk to, be nice and listen to what is being advised. We're not just saying it for the sake of it, there's a reason.

Back off my soap-box, and to answer your question smucat, we would have just wired from outside to a convenient point in which to enetr the house and 'pick up' the internal wiring. Yes, you would definitely have been left with a phone service. ;D 
Pages: [1] 2