Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

why transfer to fibre?

(1/5) > >>

iwasnotoffside:
Hi, I get download speeds of about 5.5mbs and I am a light home user browsing (about 10gb per month), streaming music and tv catch-ups from the likes of bbc iplayer.    So, what benifit is there in signing up for fibre as it will cost me an extra £12 per month?  Thanks.

Black Sheep:
That's got to be the hardest question on planet Earth, to answer. If you are happy with what you have (speedwise) at the moment, then why change ?? I also don't know your financial circumstances, so £10 a month to you may be a kings ransom ??
I don't want to sound flippant here, just trying to point out that only you know what you want out of a Broadband product, and what you are willing to pay for that product !.

FWIW, if you can stream without buffering, then stay as you are. :)

smucat:
It's whether you can resist the temptation of all those "go faster than the Jones'/ flat 6/ Bolt" TV ads. With a certain well-known ISP, on the day, you will get lightning bolts from the sky and prancing unicorns in your back yard, and an Openreach engineer poking about with your wiring. With the rollout of 'YouView' set top boxes, there will be more 'catch-up' TV with more bandwidth to be streamed. But as already said, if YOU don't need it yet, then no need to upgrade.

If you do upgrade, check that you have the latest wireless standard (802.11n) on your computer, although a hard-wired connection is recommended. Consider that you may want a new computer at extra cost to benefit. Check the other forums on here as there are people far better qualified (than I) to advise... 

If you are changing provider at the same time, then you may get 6 months free, as there are lots of incentive packages available!

burakkucat:
I shall now stick my paw in and stir the water somewhat.

I could have had an Openreach NGA GEA based VDSL2 ('fibre') service installed over a year ago but I did not because:

(1) I am quite content with the bandwidth that I can achieve with my ADSL2 connection.  :)

(2) I do not need an Openreach technician to 'fiddle-faddle' with my wiring in The Cattery.  :no:  I shall wait for the 'wires only' / 'self install' to become the norm.  ;)

smucat:
It appears that Openreach do not always have the time or inclination to quote 'fiddle-faddle' very much, as when my 30-year plus, dropwire corroded, they did not want to enter my loft space and thus put an external gel joint close to the barge-board. An old bakelite block term remains in my loft with the remainder of the dropwire. It does make me wonder if that should be changed out?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version