Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Linux for Dummies  (Read 20103 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Linux for Dummies
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 05:11:45 PM »

Depends what you want to do with it, I guess, just like Windows.

Whilst Linux is generally less resource-hungry than Windows, you can't get away from the fact that large multimedia applications require huge amounts of RAM.

If you're just dabbling and not doing much in the way of that stuff, then I reckon 512MB will be plenty
Chris

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 06:37:19 PM »

My main machine which runs XP seems OK with 512 MB, although I will probably whack it up to a gig before long.

Oh for the days when I had a 286 and just 640 KB of RAM.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »

One thing about Linux memory management is that it always uses all the available memory. This can confuse people until they realise that most of that usage is just data which has previously been read from disk, and is being held in memory in case it's needed again. If you open a console window after using the system for a while, and type 'free' (without the quotes), you'll see that most of your memory is shown as used, but a lot of it is in buffers and caches, i.e. data which will only be retained until the space it occupies is needed for something else. It's a speedup measure.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 07:56:51 AM »

One question which will trouble many newcomers to Linux is how to install extra software. With most mainstream distros the answer is quite simple: the distro will have its own online repositories of software, and a package manager to handle all the installing and removing, and to resolve any issues of dependency on other software packages. You need an active internet connection for this of course.

In many distros (and PCLinuxOS is one of them) the package manager is called Synaptic. It will be on the main menu, and when you run it you will be asked to enter the root password, because this is an administrative task. You should then click the Reload button to refresh your local index of software. Using the buttons at the bottom left you can see different views of the available software, and you can use the search facility to find any particular item which you want.

Let's take an example: one of my favourite computer games is Sokoban. Use the search button to look for 'sokoban' and it will list any packages which have 'sokoban' in their name or description. You may find that there is a package called ksokoban, or it may be included in a bigger package called 'kdegames' or something like that. Select the item, mark it for installation, then click 'Apply', and it will be installed together with any necessary supporting packages.

That's it, all very simple. See the Help menu item in Synaptic for more details.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 10:09:43 AM »

Thanks :)  for that Eric, but what about adding stuff to the start menu?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 10:29:56 AM »

When you install programs from the official repositories like that, menu entries will normally be added automatically. Sticking with the Sokoban example, it should appear under Games --> Tactics & Strategy.  Failing that, there's a menu editor which you can access by right-clicking on the KMenu button.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 12:19:35 PM »

Are there any particular sites you can recommend for downloading games and stuff?

BTW, what is the significance of the term KDE?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 12:41:13 PM »

>> BTW, what is the significance of the term KDE?

KDE = K Desktop Environment

Think Windows Desktop......   KDE is the equivalent for Linux

http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 12:44:11 PM »

KDE is the K Desktop Environment (I think it was originally the Kool Desktop Environment, but they sensibly dropped that bit :) ). It's just one of several desktop GUIs available with Linux.

If you're looking for arcade-style games I can't offer any suggestions as I'm not into that sort of thing. But there are loads of other sorts of games which you can install from the regular repositories using Synaptic. Installing software from external sources is not so straightforward.

Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 10:21:10 AM »

I found the games package, but it returned a 404 error, so I'll try it another time. :)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »

I don't know if it's fate or not, but the system h/d on my main PC has started to fail... sometimes makes lots of strange noises and won't boot, other times boots OK... so until I get a replacement h/d from ebuyer, I guess I will be using Linux a bit more. :)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 11:01:50 AM »

One morw question springs to mind... on my windows PC I use Firefox with IEtab for those pages that won't behave in FF... how do  you get round that hurdle in Linux?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 02:05:08 PM »

My normal response is to curse web designers who don't test their sites in other browsers, and go somewhere else. Apart from that, I use the Firefox User Agent Switcher extension, which effectively deals with those sites which refuse entry by other browsers as policy, not for any technical reason. (This even worked with my bank's online banking service when they were being silly about browser identity).

After that, there are other browsers which can be used in Linux, such as Konqueror and Opera, and if you really must have IE for a particular site, it runs quite well in Linux using the Wine emulator.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 03:20:49 PM »

Eric, if I never use IE again it will be too soon as far as I'm concerned.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 03:35:43 PM »

You won't find me arguing with that. :)
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3