Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Linux for Dummies  (Read 20159 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Linux for Dummies
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:27:49 PM »

OK, so I worked out how to download and install Linux on the spare PC - opted for the PCLinuxOS version, for not other reason than it was one of Eric's recommendations, and I was very impressed at how easy and quick it was to install.  Now of course I will have no doubt have loads of inane questions.

The first two things that spring to mind are:

1) All the hardware seems to work OK, but will I need to load any special drivers, e.g. for my sound and graphics cards (a fairly old soundblaster and a gforce 4)?

2) In windows I constantly use windows explorer as my main interface... what is the Linux equivalent?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

jabns

• Reg Member
Re: Linux for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:02:21 PM »

Do you know whether you are using gnome or KDE?

James

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »

PCLinuxOS is KDE.

1. If the sound works then you already have the correct driver loaded. For the graphics you have a choice: you will already be using the open source nv graphics driver, which is fine unless you want to play 3D games or do something else which involves 3D graphics. For normal 'serious' use, the nv driver is fine.
If you do want the fancy 3D graphics then you need to install the proprietary nVidia driver. I think that PCLinuxOS provides a fairly simple means of doing this, but it might be better to leave it for a later time when you're more familiar with how things work.

2. The Linux/KDE file manager is called Konqueror, and there is probably a launch icon for it on the taskbar - a little house very likely. By default, this will put you in your own home directory, where you can see your personal files. The icons on the left of the window give you different types of  view on your system - I usually click on the little folder icon which makes the left hand pane into a tree view of the file system.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:55:39 PM »

Thanks Eric, but where can I see a basic map of the system (as in windows explorer), and also the equivalent of windows device manager.  At the moment I'm finding it all a bit confusing.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:06:03 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'basic map of the system'. If you use the tree view you can see the entire file system. Linux doesn't use drive letters C,D E, etc. like Windows does. All mounted drive partitions are consolidated into the single file hierarchy. Different views are available using the icons down the left hand side.

There isn't a direct equivalent to the Windows device manager. The KDE control centre (accessible from the main menu) has a 'Peripherals' section where you can see and configure hardware of various kinds. Also, in PCLinuxOS there is a system configuration utility similar to the Windows control panel, but I don't recall what it's called (PCLinuxOS control center perhaps).
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 11:09:45 AM »

Looks like it is going to be a bit of a learning curve, and quite a challenge... next inane question is, do I need to install any security software, such as anti-virus, firewall or anti-spyware?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »

There haven't been any successful damaging Linux viruses or similar nasties yet, so very few Linux users feel in need of any protection against them. There are programs available for the ultra-cautious, such as ClamAV and AVG. I don't use them and I don't lose any sleep over it.

Most Linuxes have software firewalls available in their setup, but if you're using a router you've already got a very effective one. The software firewall is another belt-and-braces option for the ultra-cautious, and here too I don't bother and don't lose sleep. :)
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 12:12:10 PM »

Well I like what I see so far, Linux does seem to run smoothly and be relatively clutter free... I suspect this is due to utter simplicity in its design... I'm beginning to be impressed. :)

My other observation is that it appears to come with all the applications you need already built in... I notice that it even has IRC in there.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »

Yes that's right - most Linuxes install a load of applications for all the regular things most people will want to do. There are plenty of alternatives available of course, but PCLinuxOS makes a pretty good job with its default set of programs.
  Eric

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 07:24:45 AM »

Ever thought of doing a "guide" for this site Eric? I think an article on how to install/setup/common problems with a few screenshots would encourage a few more people here to give it a try.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 07:44:09 AM »

You sound like my ex-boss: "Just got one more little job for you, it won't take long." :)

Actually it's something I would like to do, but perhaps a series of short guides would be better than trying to cover the whole thing in one. I'll give it some thought.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 10:25:27 AM »

>> You sound like my ex-boss: "Just got one more little job for you, it won't take long.

:lol:

Seriously though eric - if you ever did then I'd be more than happy for you to have your "own spot".

... and tbh after seeing floydys thoughts so far it did make me wonder about trying linux again.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 02:28:32 PM »

Well I've now decided that my spare PC is going to be a dedicated Linux machine. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 03:57:38 PM »

What a fine decision! :) Are you going to stick with PCLinuxOS or try one or two others first?
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 04:05:25 PM »

I'll stick with PCLinuxOS for now. :)

BTW, what is the optimum amount of memory for running Linux... the old machine has 512 MB.
Pages: [1] 2 3