Chat > Tech Chat

Quite Amazing

(1/4) > >>

burakkucat:
I read this thread over at the ThinkBroadband forum, earlier today --

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/technical/f/4177156-exchange-visit.html

It seems that Beattie's security is somewhat lacking.  :o

Black Sheep:
That's the problem with un-manned Exchanges. Add to the mix the plethora of Contractors entering our buildings (Well, Montterays buildings), the very poor building maintenance, and staff running around like headless chickens trying to keep productivity up ........ and mistakes will happen.

Contrary to that forums number posted up ........... 0800 321999 is BT's security line, for any event, (Cable thieves, Bomb threats, Exchange security etc etc). :)

kitz:
Oops someone has been a bit lapse  :-X

-----------

In answer to the questions he asked

Is this a DSLAM?

The photo is actually of Fujitsu line cards.  IS-LCSS would indicate a relatively old type DSLAM. 
iirc BT started using the newer IV-LCSS (4th gen) line cards at around the time of maxdsl  (2006 ish) although some of the older ones are still in place in some exchanges, they definitely wont be able to sustain a 21CN line.
Bit surprised they were able to be photographed so easily, they are usually in a unit with a front cover on.

What is a LDU?

Loop Diagnistic Unit. Provides local loop line test facilities, such as the Quiet Line Test etc.

what are these?

No idea, some sort of card on the POTS (System x/System Y)?

>> this I believe is the "local loop frame",

Its the MDF (Main Distribution Frame).  Looks like a very small exchange.

-------

More info on most of the above can be seen on the page Inside the BT exchange.
Although Ive cropped off the LDU's on the photo for the site, they were under the DACs monitor unit, and you can just see the tops of them.

burakkucat:
It is the Sanday exchange (NSSDY), on the Island of Sanday, in the Orkney Isles. Total number of lines served ~250.

The door to the exchange is probably left unlocked so that Hamish McHaggis, the Island's only postman, can 'pop in' to make a brew and use the 'facilities' (i.e. necessarium). The locals probably haven't bothered to recognise the split between the Postal and Telecommunication services that occurred with the creation of Beattie in the early 1980s! Also, on an island of that size, they do not suffer from pikeys or chavs roaming around 'on the rob'.  :D

Black Sheep:
"Bit surprised they were able to be photographed so easily, they are usually in a unit with a front cover on".

The ones I see in my various Exchanges don't have any covers on at all, Kitz. Are you thinking of the actual Sys X and Y equipment racks, which all have front covers on them ??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version