Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ECI Modem Plotter Project (graphs+stats for ECI modem, older revision)  (Read 5629 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen

Well, here's a preview, and this time I do intend to release it. Once I have released this I will likely release the HG612 version of this program as well, but one thing at a time. Might have a version ready in the next few days for beta testing.

A screenshot (some of the code shown in the background, didn't bother hiding it or cutting it out of the image):
http://i.imgur.com/WIq4I.png

Functionality:
- Currently able to fetch most of the important statistic data, but doesn't fetch the connection state, connection type, power levels and doesn't display FEC errors yet
- Currently able to graph the tabs shown in the screenshot, e.g. SNRM, Sync, Errors, etc.

Bugs:
- Multi-threading model might be needed, occasionally freezes the GUI for a few seconds, every half a minute or so (when fetching data from telnet).

Any questions, feedback..?

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: ECI Modem Plotter Project (graphs+stats for ECI modem, older revision)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:48:39 AM »

Would it not make more sense to combine the two versions into one, so the one program can be used whichever modem is being used? This will mean one codebase to maintain - much of it must be identical.

Not sure how your continuous data logging works, but with Bald_Eagles he uses task scheduler, I think a better way to go may be to have the data logging part run as a service with internal timing, with a seperte front end to control it (switch it on or off).

I must get around to unlocking my ECI modem, I'll go and dig out my solder sucker and soldering iron to take home - I have the new type with the pins in the middle of the board  :(
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »

Would it not make more sense to combine the two versions into one, so the one program can be used whichever modem is being used? This will mean one codebase to maintain - much of it must be identical.

Not sure how your continuous data logging works, but with Bald_Eagles he uses task scheduler, I think a better way to go may be to have the data logging part run as a service with internal timing, with a seperte front end to control it (switch it on or off).

I must get around to unlocking my ECI modem, I'll go and dig out my solder sucker and soldering iron to take home - I have the new type with the pins in the middle of the board  :(

Good point, I didn't consider that. I'll look into making it support multiple options, probably via an argument, e.g. application.exe -modem=hg612.

Yes, I did consider having two programs, one which simply acts as a daemon and serves as the data collector, the other which is the GUI that reads the local database file that the daemon saves to. This would solve the problem I am currently experiencing with the GUI freezing for a few seconds occasionally.

Also, as I may be switching to Ubuntu (due to Steam Linux Beta), I am considering writing future code with MonoDevelop, which will still accept most of my code apparently but also supports Windows, Linux and Mac.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:54:14 AM »

I am considering writing future code with MonoDevelop, which will still accept most of my code apparently but also supports Windows, Linux and Mac.

I do hope that you do this, I moved to Linux some while ago and it is frustrating sometimes when things only appear for Windows software.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »

Good point, I didn't consider that. I'll look into making it support multiple options, probably via an argument, e.g. application.exe -modem=hg612.

You have a settings tab, why not just put it on there, simple check box or drop down list to select from, using arguments relies on the end user getting it correct.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

liamstears

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »

Well, here's a preview, and this time I do intend to release it. Once I have released this I will likely release the HG612 version of this program as well, but one thing at a time. Might have a version ready in the next few days for beta testing.

A screenshot (some of the code shown in the background, didn't bother hiding it or cutting it out of the image):
http://i.imgur.com/WIq4I.png

Functionality:
- Currently able to fetch most of the important statistic data, but doesn't fetch the connection state, connection type, power levels and doesn't display FEC errors yet
- Currently able to graph the tabs shown in the screenshot, e.g. SNRM, Sync, Errors, etc.

Bugs:
- Multi-threading model might be needed, occasionally freezes the GUI for a few seconds, every half a minute or so (when fetching data from telnet).

Any questions, feedback..?

Any chance of a release? Would love to try this...

drsox

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »

Add me to the list :)