Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

are extension wires needed?

(1/2) > >>

iwasnotoffside:
I have cordless telephones in the house and do not use any of the extension sockets.   
My broadband speed is 3.5mbs download through the splitter and 5.5mbs through the test socket.
Should I remove all the little 4 wires (which I think are for the extensions that I don't use) I can see behind the faceplate to improve the speed through the splitter?  Thanks

burakkucat:
Welcome to the Kitz forum.

I would suggest you perform a staged removal of any wires that are connected to terminals numbered 3 & 4 at each extension socket and at the 'splitter'. (I am assuming that you are referring to a centralised filter when you use the word 'splitter'?) By leaving terminals 2 & 5 connected, you then have the advantage of working extension sockets -- for that just in case moment and you may find that your sync speed will be close to that when directly connected to the 'test' socket.

The truthful answer to your query is that any wiring 'your side' of the NTP, that is the NTE5/A, is your own property and responsibility. So if you decide to remove it . . . O.k.  :)

HPsauce:

--- Quote from: iwasnotoffside on November 03, 2012, 05:42:34 PM ---Should I remove all the little 4 wires (which I think are for the extensions that I don't use) I can see behind the faceplate to improve the speed through the splitter?  Thanks

--- End quote ---
Yes, definitely, if you're sure they are running to unused extensions.
(Do it with care so you can reinstate should you disconnect the incoming wire)

Extension wiring, especially the "bell wire" can act as an aerial picking up interference that slows down your broadband.

iwasnotoffside:
Thank you chaps for your advice - broadband speed up to 5.6mbs through the splitter.
Problem resolved.
Thank you

burakkucat:
Excellent news. That is exactly what we like to read. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version