Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: new router help and wireless network stutter  (Read 2399 times)

alexander

• Just arrived
new router help and wireless network stutter
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:46:28 PM »

hi i am looking to try and speed up my internet connection and i also have a internet dlna tv which stutters with bbc iplayer hd and a western digital hard drive which streams hd films to the tv with twonkey media player which also stutters i have read a lot about routers the last couple of days and my head is in bits i have come up with two options
billion 7800n router modem and billion home plug 2x 500mbps gigabit ethernet adapters or a bridged modem with asus rtn66u router but seams quiet complicated setting up the bridged modem do you think the billion will cure these issues any help is much appricated
internet connection isp fast.co.uk adsl
line length 2.17km
netgear dg384nv1
download 2.6 upload 0.38
latency 60ms
ping 61ms
jitter 4ms
packet loss 0%
line attension 61.0 down 31.5 up
noise margin 6.1db down 14.0db up
connection speed 3040kbps 448kbps up
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:26:06 PM by alexander »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: new router help and wireless network stutter
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:40:57 AM »

Hello Alexander and welcome to the Kitz forum.

I'm sorry that no one has so far responded with any advice . . . we certainly don't intentionally ignore anyone.

So currently you are achieving --

Sync of 3040 kbps DS & 448 kbps US
SNRM 6.1 dB DS and 14.0 dB US
Atten 61.0 dB DS and 31.5 dB US

-- using a Netgear DG384N v1 on a line of 2.17 km reported length.

At the time of testing, you achieved a throughput speed of 2.6 Mbps DS and 0.38 Mbps US.

Before going out and purchasing a new modem/router, you should really ensure that all your internal wiring in your home is optimised to minimise any signal degradation and that you existing Netgear is performing to the best of its ability.

Perhaps you would like to explain the set-up of how the line enters your home (aerial or underground), where the Openreach Network Termination Point (NTP) is situated, do you have an NTE5/A, are there any telephone extensions, do you have a centralised filter fitted or are you using dangly microfilters, etc, etc?

I'm sure that with contributions from some of the regular forum members we can help you improve your situation.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: new router help and wireless network stutter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 10:21:18 PM »

Following on from B'Kat's advice (which you should follow) - I can tell you that the DG834N is notorious for wi-fi issues, they overheat apparently! - I have one and the wi-fi works fine but sometimes it just stops working and have to reset it, mind it only done that once or twice, I dont use it at all now.

I think that 2.6Mbps is not enough broadband speed (IMO) to stream HD content, I dont know what bit-rate iPlayer uses for HD via the service you use, but HD is usually a lot higher than 2.6Mbps, it depends on which codec & compression settings they use, they will also be using Variable Bit-Rate (VBR) so dark scenes with little to no action use low bit-rates and bright, complex, fast moving action scenes use high bit-rates.

if it turns out its defo the wireless thats causing the stutter and you need to buy/upgrade then I would suggest homeplugs for streaming, I use them for my Sky On Demand, streaming is more reliable over cable than it is with wi-fi.

- how far is the router from the wi-fi connected TV...? (is it in another room?)
 - have you tried the streaming over LAN to ensure its definitely the wi-fi? (that way we can narrow things down a bit)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

anything