Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice needed on faceplate replacement  (Read 2500 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Advice needed on faceplate replacement
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »

I believe my existing faceplate may not be working as well as it should as I see CRC errors when using the phone. So as I cannot find my original OR/BT faceplate should I go for a new VDSL one and a new standard faceplate from Clarity as well, or simply go for a new ADSL2+ type instead? Are there pros/cons to either solution or does it simply come down to cost, bearing in mind I am currently on ADSL2+?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Advice needed on faceplate replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »

If the errors are on the upstream, I believe that is normal.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »

The VDSL one is a very clever "interstitial" design.  :graduate:
I've got one now (20mbps ADSL2+) and thoroughly recommend them.  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »

Yes but I also get them downstream as well.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »

Yes but I also get them downstream as well.

Stuart

Okay, in that case, I would recommend the vDSL faceplate as it is the newest revision and it works really well. I happen to use one :).

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »

I believe my existing faceplate may not be working as well as it should as I see CRC errors when using the phone. So as I cannot find my original OR/BT faceplate should I go for a new VDSL one and a new standard faceplate from Clarity as well, or simply go for a new ADSL2+ type instead? Are there pros/cons to either solution or does it simply come down to cost, bearing in mind I am currently on ADSL2+?

Stuart

Or an alternative to the BT OR VDSL faceplate is the ADSLNation one. Slight difference in the design, where BT's is passive and ADSLNation's is active. Not sure on the difference, although I did have to buy a new VDSL faceplate as the one BT supplied on installation produced erratic SNRM and lots of errors after a few hours of it being connected. I stopped using the new faceplate I bought and went back to my ADSLNation one, works fine.

Another suggestion, once you've fixed this problem, if you get a slight SNRM variance, or attainable rate variance (probably more noticeable to lose a few hundred kbps compared to SNRM) then try double filtering, or triple filtering, the phone side. I found it stopped any variance when using the phone, or connecting the phone. Before that I used to get lose a few hundred kbps on the downstream when using the phone and connecting the phone to the socket. I know it's minor, but every little helps in my view.

anything