Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

NO Master Socket but have a LJU4 / 1A

(1/2) > >>

silverlayman2012:

HI ALL WIRING EXPERTS ..... Your help and advice would be most welcomed...... i am just a silver haired layman as far as wiring is concerned......

I shall explain my  present layout as best i can and attach a few jpgs .
You will see i have a LJU4/1A in socket in room 3.   Can this become the Master Socket .....i am thinking of taking up PLUSNET Fibre ... i have been with them for 8 years for ordinary broadband.   
If it can be replaced with a Master socket i am assuming that does not constitute a "move of position" and therefore  no extra charge.

OK here goes     BT cable comes into the loft of my BUNGLALOW ...   and  enters a simple junction box ( 3inch sq white)  and  connects to the out cable  installed by the electrical contractor when the house was new in 2000.
The cable goes down into the lounge into a ordinary socket with Dae17 written on it. This is used as my sky telephone connection
The cable exist back to the loft and then down into the kitchen  same dae17 type socket ( see jpg  ROOM 2 ) a phone is on this box ......
 and then back up the loft and down into my study/ computer room..... into a LJU4/1A  Socket  ( see jpg room 3 ) which has a double outlet  because originally i had two bt numbers on this line... one for phone and one for dial up.... the second number was cancelled when broadband was enabled.  see jpg attached     When broadband was enabled the bt engineer did the change over on this socket.   This socket has a phone and the router.

The cable then exists to the loft and then to a bedroom phone on  the final socket number four (see room 4 jpg).

I am presently on Plusnet value and my speed is normally about 5 ... my package is up to 8.
Am i correct in saying that the room three JJU4 / 1A   is my Master Point and there would be no problem for Openreach to install their own MASTER THERE ???    This is the room where my router is at present plus the handy  electric sockets ...... 

Just for info i tried my router on the lounge socket in room one and the speed was the same.... So Although i understand master sockets should be on room one mine does not appear to be so .

I am happy with the speed at the moment using the present wiring arrangements and  if the new Master from OPENREACH  is ok on room three would you care to estimate my possible speed using plusnet fibre  although this is not really  the point of this posting. I am more concerned about the Master position and if i would have to pay extra  for it..

Hope the jpgs help   
Appreciate any comments please.

Regards

Silverlayman

[attachment deleted by admin]

Black Sheep:
Hmmm ?? Have to admit, I'm slightly confused by your description, but that's just me anyway !!

In practice, the Master Socket should be the first socket in any premises, but from your description it seems as if it's the 3rd socket along the wiring chain ?? In reality, so long as there's a capacitor 'in play' anywhere along the chain, then the phones will ring as they should.

I can tell you from experience, that there will be no issue installing the new FTTC Master Socket where your 4/1A is at present, even if it is actually the 3rd socket ?? I can't comment on pricing or tariffs, but can tell you we have to fit the Master Socket where the EU requests on FTTC, whether that charge is already built in to the task, or added on as an extra, I can't say I'm afraid.

To my mind and from what I see, this looks like a bog-standard job mate. :)

burakkucat:
To this techno-cat, it does read as if you may have star wiring that radiates from a junction box in your roof space.

However you do have a master socket (the LJU4/1A) . . . what you meant to say is that you do not have an NTE5/A. As long as you ensure that Plusnet order the home wiring solution at the same time as they order the FTTC service from Openreach, then I cannot see you being required to pay any extra charges.

I concur with Black Sheep (our very own serving Openreach technician) that it should be a straightforward task --

(1) Enter roof space and examine the connections in the junction box. Re-make the connections so that the incoming pair is fed just to your study/computer room and that a second pair to the same location is connected to all the other extension sockets.

(2) In the study/computer room, fit an NTE5/A in place of the current LJU4/1A. The incoming pair will now be terminated at the NTE5/A. The Openreach back plate would then be fitted to the backing-box. The second pair, which returns back into the roof space junction box & provides the telephony feed to the extension sockets would be connected to the lower front face plate of the NTE5/A and an interstitial SSFP (service specific face plate) would be mounted between the two parts of the NTE5/A.

Job done.  ;D

Edited to add: As for your possible speeds on a VDSL2 based service, it really depends upon the length of your line to the PCP and the type of metal used for the pair. In other words, it depends upon the attenuation of the line between your master socket and the PCP. Do you know the location of the PCP through which your line is connected? If so, what is its approximate distance from your home? What is the line length from the exchange to your home? What is your line attenuation for your current service?

With all the above information, our wise one -- Bald_Eagle1 -- should be able to give you a real world estimate of the throughput speed you might expect to obtain with a VDSL2 based service.

silverlayman2012:

Hi
As i stated earlier i am not a tecky at all but in my "understanding" i personally wouldnt  call it a radiating star from a central  point....

Shoot me down in flames if i am  in-correct....... the  bt to internal is purely an in one side and out the other.........  really just connecting the wires.....  then in and out at room one  same at room two and three  and  then terminating at room4 ......... is that not more like a    "Daisy chain" configaration ,   or does the internal wiring etc change my thinking.

I have no skills/ability to change any wiring myself at all at any point......... would assume the openreach engineer  wouldnt go messing in the loft if his business was just to fit the master in study  ?

If he only changed the JLU4/1A for a NTE5/A   would the phone extensions in other rooms remain working ?

I am probably 1 mile max from exchange at BUCKLEY FLINTSHIRE  and about half mile from green box  and then overhead copper.

Cheers
Silverlayman2012

Black Sheep:
From your descrip, it does indeed come across as 'Daiy chain' (Radial) wiring. Please, don't worry about it. This is an easy job to do and everything will be left working as it was before the engineering visit.

If the 4/1A isn't the true master socket at this moment in time, then the engineer will have to 're-hash' the wiring, but this is relatively straightforward. Worry not.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version