Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT wiring from pole to house  (Read 9427 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
BT wiring from pole to house
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:22:17 AM »

At present the wire from the pole comes across the road and enters my house into the upstairs bedroom.

My question is, can the wiring be extending so it enters my home into the living room downstairs.This is on the front of the property where the cable also enters the bedroom.
I want my BT master socket moved from the bedroom to the living room and if possible don't want to use long runs of cable indoors owing to the location of rooms.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: BT wiring from pole to house
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »

If you want all evidence gone from upstairs you'll presumably need BT to do that, extending the "drop wire" with a waterproof joint at high level. Gonna cost.  >:D

Realistically, run your own extension cable OUTSIDE from the master to an extension socket where you want it.
2 small holes drilled through, a length of external-grade cable (maybe not CW1308 - similar number...) an extension socket, fixing screws, cable clips and some sealant.

Somthing you may be competent to do yourself, or any reasonable electrician.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:19:02 AM by HPsauce »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »

Thanks for the info HPsauce.  :)

I was just testing the water so to speak before having a word with my sons father-in-law who is an Openreach engineer.He fitted me a new master socket about 5 years ago.
The phone line was in the spare bedroom when we moved in so decided to leave there as thats where my computer is,trouble is my OH wants the bedroom back  :( to turn it into a guest room(only have 2 bedrooms so I'm getting the boot) ;D

So my plan is in the new year to get a lap top to save space and have the router downstairs.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »

If your friendly OR man isn't able/willing to do the job, the cable you need for the DIY solution is CW1128, which comes with various numbers of pairs - the basic two-pair version is all you'll need.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »

Thanks Eric,  :)

Hopefully he will do it for me(he's a decent chap :) )

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »

The cable length will be virtually identical whatever you do, as will the cable seen outside.
So, unless the existing master socket is actually in the way, I'd leave it there rather than eliminate it.
You never know what you might want to do in future.  ;)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »

Where the cable comes in to the bedroom from outside is in a small cupboard,it has a blank faceplate on,the cable then runs about 10 feet from the blanking plate to the master socket which is at the side of the computer desk.

Before this was done we just had the cable come in from outside connected to a loose BT phone socket  :-X and then one of those phone cable reels running from the socket to the pc(this was pre broadband days when the internal modem just plugged into the cable real.)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »

Just a thought.  :)

Uncle has a FTTC broadband service (from Digital Region), so there should be a SSFP fitted at the NTE5/A. If the NTE5/A is to remain upstairs, then two separate pairs would need to be extended downstairs -- one for the POTS and the second for the VDSL2 signal.

It might be best, if the proper man is willing, for the NTE5/A to be removed from upstairs and the incoming pair to be run back outside and then downwards, from behind the blanking plate (in the cupboard). Essentially, transplant the NTE5/A and SSFP to the required location downstairs. :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 07:32:35 AM »

Hi Mr B-Cat

All I have is a BT master socket with a test socket behind the face plate...No SSFP. ???

All the BT man did when he came to check my fibre connection was ok was to plug in his hand held jobbie......a JDSU I think.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:50:47 PM by UncleUB »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »

Oops, from that description, something doesn't seem right Uncle:-\

Is there any possibility that you could take a clear photograph of the existing NTE5/A, please?

As a Digital Region subscriber, you have been provided with one of their modems and a separate router which is connected to the NTE5/A. Do you also have a land-line telephony service provided over that same cable? From Beatie?

The installer would have checked the line parameters with either a JDSU or EXFO Hand-Held Tester (HHT).

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »

Bear in mind guys, there were trials of 'self-instalation' around the country, where use of the existing dongle micro-filter took place.

These trials have come to an end, and if Uncle's premises was part of this, then he would receive a visit to have a proper VDSL plate fitted.

Will bow out now, just wanted to put this info out there, in case it has any relevance ??

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »

Good point, BS. Thank you for reminding me of the trial.

I think we will need to wait for Uncle to show us what's what.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »

Hi Mr B-Cat

Picture of BT master socket minus faceplate,filter plugged into test socket.

And picture of TP Link router and DR supplied Cellpipe

Oh and yes my landline is supplied by BT
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:48:24 PM by UncleUB »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »

Interesting pictures, Uncle.

So Black Sheep is correct -- you have a dangly micro-filter plugged into the NTE5/A rather than a nice and tidy SSFP::)

My advice would be to see if you can interest your sons father-in-law, the Openreach technician, in relocating the NTE5/A to downstairs by running a length of external specification cable from the junction in the cupboard to the new location. If his van is well-stocked, he should have a SSFP available to finish the job. If not, a quick read of sheddyian's thread will show to whom you should send some of your Yorkshire brass, in exchange for one.  :D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »

Thank you Mr B-Cat for reply. I shall indeed ask him. As for parting with Yorkshire brass  :-X  :D

anything