Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: could some one check my line stats please  (Read 5965 times)

franky118

• Just arrived
could some one check my line stats please
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »

hi guys just need some one to have a look at my line stats was on virgin for years then moved house and got infinity 80/20  and aint got a clue what all this lot means so its more of understanding them and seeing if anything is wrong thanks

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: could some one check my line stats please
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »

The Band Plans tell us that you are connected to a Huawei cabinet DSLAM.

Retrain Reason 2 suggests an "on the fly" resync rather than a modem reboot.

DS Interleaving depth (D:) looks a little high at 937. Impulse Noise Protection (INP) & delay will no doubt have non-zero values (these can be seen lower down in the Plink log).

This combination has no doubt slightly lowered your sync speed from the 71.4Mb theoretical attainable rate (Max).
Looking at SNRM levels, there seems to be a little more scope to increase sync speed, although one or two dips are apparent (maybe that's what caused interleaving to be switched on at a fairly highish level).

Note that the modem's GUI misreports FEC & CRC errors, so the graphs that state they are from the GUI are also incorrect.

Also, the really high error counts are more than likely a result of not monitoring continuously (the modem will have been clocking up the errors even when the logging was turned off, so it appears there is a big jump in errors when logging recommenced.
The first row of new data from starting to log again could be simply deleted from modem_stats.log to make the graphs look more realistic.

Overall, it looks like a quite reasonable connection, much better than mine (see attached snapshot graphs).
For curiosity, how far are you from the cabinet? The stats suggest it's probably around 200m to 300m.

franky118

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:53:43 AM »

thanks for help and yes i think im about 300 metres away from the cab
is there anyway i can lower the interleaving some how or will that go down by itself? iwas getting 65 mbps when first installed but a month after total loss of broadband and had a engineer come out he done some thing in the cab not sure what and ever since then i was getting 57mbps

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:03:09 AM »

Interleaving for FTTC services is completely automated by DLM & ISP are unable to have it switched on/off.

If the connection remains stable, interleaving depth MAY decrease & sync speeds MAY increase again.

I had a similar issue, total loss of broadband & telephone after the first month of FTTC.
Following reinstatement, stability was terrible (random disconnections, especially during warmer weather) & it took almost 11 months to get it permanently fixed, after many engineer visits that didn't actually fix anything properly.
It eventually turned out to be a faulty joint at the top of the pole across the road from my house & a faulty filtered faceplate at the same time.

My slightly higher speeds never returned though.
Maybe when service was reinstated, I was swapped to a poorer quality D-side cable from the cabinet?

Do you have any stats from when your speeds were higher, for comparison purposes?

It may just be worth trying a mdem reboot during daylight hours, say at 2:00 pm (SNRM should be at its highest then) as you MAY just see increased sync speed, but errors & therefore Interleaving may increase, eventually forcing a DLM resync at lower speed again.

Unless you see many random disconnections, your connection would probably not be seen as "faulty" as your current speeds far exceed the fault thereshold rate of (I THINK) 30 Mb for 80/20 services.

franky118

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »

unfortunately haven't got any stats from when the speed was higher, i only unlocked the modem about a week ago also i didnt want to restart the modem as i wanted to see if the dlm would put me back onto the higher sync speed i read somewhere it could take upto 2 weeks for that to happen and its been on for 8 days now or should i reset it at 2:00pm what would you do?

also does internal wiring effect snr and att levels as i have a few 90 degree bends in the cable from the i plate to the extension socket which is only a couple of meters away i'm sure i read somewhere the more bends in the cable the more you lose signal but cant find where i read it

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »

i read somewhere it could take upto 2 weeks for that to happen and its been on for 8 days now or should i reset it at 2:00pm what would you do?

Your graph shows a connection duration since the most recent resync of around 65 hours, at just after 18:00 yesterday, 28th October.
i.e. around 2.7 days, so at 18:00 today (29th) you will have been connected for around 3.7 days.

Do you have any more logs for us to have a look at? (I can graph them at my end).
To upload them here you would need to zip them, or alternatively upload them somewhere else & post a link for us.

Regardless, I would watch for when SNRM is at its highest & try a modem reboot at that time (just the one though, to avoid DLM having a fit & clobbering your speeds).

also does internal wiring effect snr and att levels as i have a few 90 degree bends in the cable from the i plate to the extension socket which is only a couple of meters away i'm sure i read somewhere the more bends in the cable the more you lose signal but cant find where i read it

Hopefully someone else will be along soon who is better placed to discuss internal wiring with you, but they may ask a few questions to help them understand how things are currently wired up.

AFAIK, the BT supplied modem (HG612 or ECI) is usually plugged into the master socket rather than an extension socket, to eliminate any existing internal wiring.
Then an ethernet cable is usually run between modem & router/hub that can be up to 100m or so before the signal deteriorates.

franky118

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »

i did a modem reset at 2pm and i don't think the dlm has kicked in not sure though you could probably work that out from the logs but my snr did drop from 7.0 down to 6.2 for downstream and at the moment its at 6.0, upstream is still at 7.0

here is a link to the logs that i have

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i0pk50o2v9mwqdb/LtW3SY3pca

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:24:35 PM »

With that drop in SNRM came a slight speed increase.

The appearance is different (newer graphing script), but see the differences in the attached snapshot graphs from 28th & 29th.

It should be noted that QLN (Quiet Line Noise) & Hlog (Attenuation over frequency) are only updated at each resync.
Bitloading & SNR do change dynamically during the life of a given connection period.
the SNR graph will usually look a little better (increased Signal to Noise Ratio) during daylight hours, as does SNRM.

Is it at all possible to keep the logging going for longer periods?
That would eliminate the spurious high error counts.

I'll have a closer look later on & see if I can make the ongoing stats looks a little more realistic (by editing out some of the more spurious results).

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:01:18 PM »

Here's the ongoing stats with some spurious results edited out.

The sudden jump in error counts at 16:34 today looks genuine.
Could some appliance or maybe the heating have been switched on at that time?

Ignore the blank Error Seconds graphs.
Your earlier version of getstats.BAT didn't calculate that data in modem_stats.log

franky118

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »

i have no idea what made the error spike, wasnt the heating.
 what sort of appliances could cause this ?  although i think it had started raining at that time could that cause it?

also why is interleaving basicly non existant at a few different times?

regarding to the snr change my speed went from 57mbps to 59mbps

thanks
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:30:44 PM by franky118 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »

i have no idea what made the error spike, wasnt the heating.
 what sort of appliances could cause this ?  although i think it had started raining at that time could that cause it?

Cooker, sun bed, hair dryer, anything electrical in your house or a neighbour's house COULD cause something like that, even maybe a street light switching on.
Continuous logging over a few days may just highlight patterns at similar times each day.

If it was rain induced, I would expect the errors to continue at a higher level until the rain stopped & whatever had got wet had dried out again.

also why is interleaving basicly non existant at a few different times?

It's not.
That's just because of the way some of the graphs are plotted (using filled boxes) & others such as SNRM use lines that join up.

Whenever data isn't logged for whatever reason, graphs plotted using boxes show as gaps e.g. Connection Up Time, yet graphs plotted as lines show as continuous data.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 11:20:07 PM »

Hopefully someone else will be along soon who is better placed to discuss internal wiring with you, but they may ask a few questions to help them understand how things are currently wired up.

The only type of connections that would be sensitive to tight bends are co-axial cables with air dielectric between the central core and external shielding, for example, or a fibre optic cable. Standard copper cabling, run normally so that it is not crushed at any point, is quite immune to any bends within its length.

The question, touched upon by Bald_Eagle1, is how your wiring is arranged. Do you have an aerial or underground feed? Is there a separate service cable between the end of the drop cable (if aerial) or underground cable and the NTE5/A? The NTE5/A should be fitted with a centralised filter (a SSFP, service specific faceplate). Normally the modem (either Huawei or ECI) would be connected directly to the SSFP. However a data extension cable can be fitted by the installing technician, if ordered by your CP/ISP. That data extension cable can either be used to carry the Ethernet signal from the modem to the router or can be used to carry the VDSL2 signal from the SSFP to the modem at a remote location.

So what is your wiring configuration, please?  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

franky118

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 05:49:19 PM »

i have an arial connection from the pole to the house then just above my front door there is a black junction box then from there it drops down into the house to the nte5 vdsl faceplate thats for the phone and modem connection but i have an extension fitted to that which goes to my living room,
the modemrouter is behind my lcd tv thats where the extension is fitted

http://www.clarity.it/vdsl_nte5_adaptor_faceplate.htm

the link is what is fitted where the connection comes into the house

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:50:10 PM »

Ah, that clarifies things.  :)

I assume that the extension is actually what Openreach call a data extension and was fitted by the installing technician? You mention that the modem and router are behind the television. It would be sensible to ensure that all three (television, modem & router) are not crammed into the smallest space possible, surrounded by a jumble of leads.

My other assumption is that your telephone is connected at the NTE5/A.

In all, it reads to be quite a reasonable configuration.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

franky118

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 08:24:12 PM »

no my tv is in the corner of the room on an angle so the is plenty of space behind it and the modem is on the wall anyway, the engineer made the data extension.
Pages: [1] 2