Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

New filtered faceplate recommendation please

(1/4) > >>

sheddyian:
Some very distant relatives have poor broadband synch speeds (3k on a good day).  Distance from exchange is clearly part of this, but their internal telephone wiring leaves a lot to be desired.

BT NTE5a into various splitters and adaptors, modem nearby, several self-install plug in extension socket kits with flat wiring running off to other rooms.

I'd rather not get involved in lifting floorboards and replacing the lot, but I thought a filtered faceplate that will effectively isolate the unholy mess from the ADSL would be a good place to start.

I myself have an ADSL Nation filtered faceplate, which I think highly of, although I've not used others to compare it with.

Only need ADSL signal at the NTE5a, other extensions need to be isolated from it all as best as possible without losing analogue telephony.  What would the team recommend I fit for the unhappy relatives?

I imagine I might need some sort of junction box with screw terminals as well; am I right in thinking that the flat extension wiring is usually multi-strand and so won't IDC into the faceplate connections very well?

Ian

burakkucat:
If you wish to perform the good deed with minimalist intervention, I would recommend the SSFP centralised filter that Openreach fit for all FTTC connections. Looking though my list of usual suppliers, I see it is available from four of them. In no particular order --

Clarity
Pressac
run-IT-direct
Solwise

sheddyian:
Thank you, that's exactly the sort of recommendation that I'm after.  And if I get one of those, I can have a quick play/comparison with my ADSL Nation faceplate to see if there's any difference in performance  ;D

That said, do you know if there's much difference between the VDSL adaptor plates you've linked to, and the older style ones such as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-ADSL-Faceplate-Splitter-NTE5/dp/B003H6GUNA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351295739&sr=1-3, apart from being about half the price?

Ian

burakkucat:
Your link is to one of the earlier Solwise "own brand" low-pass filters that were designed for use when ADSL first became a self-install process.

I would advise against one, these days, as manufacturing standards have long since improved.

Consider your task when fitting either the current Openreach specification SSFP (my choice) or the Solwise device. To aid your consideration, I attach two segments of the Pressac data sheet, below. When fitting the Openreach specification device, one unscrews the lower front faceplate of the NTE5/A leaving all extension wiring connected in situ, slips the interstitial SSFP in and refits the lower front faceplate with the longer screws provided.  When fitting the Solwise "own brand" device, you will have to first disconnect any extension wiring from the back of the lower front faceplate and then re-attach it to the back of the new device.

sheddyian:
Thanks again for the advice! 

I don't mind rewiring anything at the master socket end of things, especially as in this case part of the problem is that everything, extensions and all, are just plugged into the front of the socket!  It's my intention to wire the extensions into the filtered output on the back of the front plate as they're meant to be.

But if you think the Openreach one will be better than the Solwise type, then I'm happy to go with the recommendation.

Thanks  :)

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version