Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Moving to BT FTTC  (Read 9578 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Moving to BT FTTC
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 02:31:47 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Having just confirmed with Black Sheep, there is no liaison with exchange staff so the old ADSL signal is being filtered out at the FTTC.
Presumably somebody potters around in the exchange some time / day / week / month later.

For those who haven't yet seen it, the white clip-on filter blocks over the IDC blocks are the filters.
In this picture only 64 filters are fitted as there is only one ECI 64 channel line card fitted at present.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/110211821/Commissioning-Cabinet-20-s-FTTC-6065

It follows that any ritual presentations of MACs, dismantling LLU ADSL links etc. etc. have little to do with the actual transfer to VDSL.

One thing that I believe every good installation engineer should do, is to ensure that there is a dial tone on the Exchange side cable.
I don't suppose the origin is questioned, provided it is there at VDSL installation time.

Kind regards,
Walter

antonyfrn

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 05:28:29 PM »

Well I got my migration date to put me onto BT ADSL2+ before moving me onto FTTC good thing where I live there is around four cabs near my house three outside my living room window and everyone where I live are over 60 so I think there maybe very few using FTTC near me. Apparently BT needs to move me over to there adsl service before they can place the order for FTTC

Just hoping the move goes well on the 5th and they speed up with the move to fibre as it was a pain to place an order due to how I want the billing. But according to what I've been told by someone in Demons customer relations team they don't expect to offer fibre till some time between December and January with expected to be ready by Summer 2013

At lest the ISPs here isn't as bad in Spain where I lived near torrevijeca it showed my nearest exchange from my bar was about a 3 hour drive. The connection from the house apparently it was on one of the Balearic islands. But my main hope the move to fibre fixes my issues I've had with my connection since having demon sending out the engineers what made things worse.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:35:50 PM by antonyfrn »

antonyfrn

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »

Finally got moved over to BT ADSL2+ BT seem to have issues when placing an order for me so stuck waiting for there offline team (think its called that) to give me my date for the fibre install fingers crossed they don't take nearly a week to process the order. can someone take a look at my line stats for the ADSL2+ service and see if they look good or can spot anything that may cause a issue with the move to fibre as ive just gone through several months of issues dealing with Demon but the line is very stable since coming off demons service but I think the line speed can be better. also does the 10day thing still count?

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 1 days, 09:10:40
Downstream: 10.05 Mbps
Upstream: 1.094 Mbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 4.9 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 26.4 dB / 13.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 20.8 dBm / 11.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 11709 / 1779
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 17423 / 1436
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5680 / 1248

speedtest
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.7 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 9.08 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2.08Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »

That looks to be quite a good line. If I didn't know that it is temporary measure until your FTTC VDSL2 service is provided, I would suggest that you have interleaving applied and thus minimise the CRC errors.

Latency type: Fast
<snip>
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 11709 / 1779
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 17423 / 1436
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5680 / 1248

As modem - DSLAM/MSAN sync has only been established for around 33 hours, there is still plenty of time for the DLM to apply interleaving to the line.

Basically, as it is just an intermediate step to a VDSL2 service and it is performing quite well, there is nothing to be concerned about. :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

antonyfrn

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »

Well after it taking BT just under one week to place my order I got my engineer date just hope they show up 23rd November so fingers crossed all goes well. Currently the ADSL2+ line is more stable than the crap I was dealing with Demon/ThusPLC not had a drop out and one weeks uptime on the BTHH3. I would love to find out what was the exact issue with demons kit in the exchange after I was told the old kit was replaced.

antonyfrn

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »

Ok its install day fingers crossed the Engineer shows up as I've always had a bad experience of PM appointments from OR hope the install goes nice and easy.

antonyfrn

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

Install went really well quick and easy no issues can anyone recommend where I can get a spare vdsl modem to unlock?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »

Install went really well quick and easy no issues

Excellent news. :clap2:

can anyone recommend where I can get a spare vdsl modem to unlock?

That universal emporium, eBay;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Jonny

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »

For the record i was with O2 LLU this time two years ago. Phone line with another provider.

Initial order to up and running FTTC was 5 days including the BT engineer visit with no loss of service worth speaking of.

Migrating from FTTC and other phone supplier to BT took 5 weeks with a split contract, so will have probs in around 11 months.
Complete install date was given, i even stated no engineer visit required. 24hrs before install had an email stating FTTC install will be 3 weeks later, played my face to highest level and got in 7 days. Couldnt even cancel the order after 12 the previous day. Pretty sure i smell a rat here and will find out when i can get away from BT. Cant have BT FTTC without BT line and phone, so either one will be down and of course no internet, needed daily.
Pages: 1 [2]