Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moving to BT FTTC  (Read 9576 times)

antonyfrn

Moving to BT FTTC
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:28:09 AM »

Question about moving to BT FTTC im currently on ADSL2+ with my current ISP and waiting on BT to propcess my order still (2days so far) is it normal to move me onto the ADSL 2+ service before moving me to the fiber service?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Moving to BT FTTC
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »

Hmmm, not sure TBH ??

I've been on FTTC provision orders, whereby the premises hasn't had any service before (either PSTN or DSL), and they have gone straight onto Fibre. So I can't see why yours should be any different ??

Just my thoughts.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »

Another Im not 100% certain...  but I would have thought you would go straight to FTTC.

It would seem like un-necessary work - even more so if your current SP is LLU...  be easier to do it all at once.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 11:05:25 PM »

And yet another "I don't know for sure. Seems to be a bit unnecessary." from me.

Who is your current provider? Is your service via a SMPF or MPF (i.e. LLU'd) line? Which exchange?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »

If you get put on ADSL would you not have a contract term?

I think I would push to go straight onto fibre.

antonyfrn

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »

I'm currently with Demon on there LLU ADSL2+ service on the Walworth exchange in London. It seems if your coming from another ISP they have to move you onto there ADSL service then the fiber well I got my date for the migration to BT 5th November hoping this goes well and then ill have to wait for a date for the fiber move.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 01:23:27 AM »

I'm currently with Demon on there LLU ADSL2+

Ah, that explains it all. As your line is LLU'd (i.e. MPF in Beatie talk) and, I assume, your current ISP does not provide a fibre based VDSL2 product your line has to revert back, I assume (once again  ;)  ), to BT Retail. Once that has taken place, then it is a simple provide.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »

@ BKK,

Yet here is Ewhurst we have a large number of all sorts of services being transferred to the new BT Openreach FTTC connections.
That includes standard Wholesale connections transferred from the exchange to the FTTC, TalkTalk etc. LLU connections, ex-O2 LLU to mainly PlusNet (i.e. BT Wholesale) FTTC services.
There is also one new FTTC service on a dreaded DACS line being transferred to Zen via BT Wholesale AFTER it has been de-DACSed. (Terrible English !)
I am not (yet ?) aware of any intermediate transitions at all ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »

Hi Walter,

That includes standard Wholesale connections transferred from the exchange to the FTTC, TalkTalk etc. LLU connections, ex-O2 LLU to mainly PlusNet (i.e. BT Wholesale) FTTC services.

Just for curiosity, is there a particular reason for users choosing Plusnet as the ISP?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »

TalkTalk are able to provide their own FTTC service by retailing the Openreach product, as can any other LLU service provider -- if the LLU service provider is prepared to purchase it (from Openreach).

In this case, it appears that the OP's current CP (who is providing an LLU'd service) does not wish to retail the Openreach NGA FTTC service.

As for your Ewhurst examples, I say "Cobbler's Brook".  :P

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »

I thought Demon were SMPF LLU (C&W). Apologies if I missed something and am behind the times..  do they do Full MPF now?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

Ive really tried to do some digging on this but I cant find anything concrete. 

The only obvious is that when migrating from FTTC -> FTTC then there is a transition period of downgrade to adsl, due to there not being any migration path yet for vdsl -> vdsl.

Despite all the digging, I cant find anyone who mentions going on BT adsl -> BT infinity.
Theres a vague reference here where it was offered as a possible explanation for the OP loosing his Be connection early...  but seemingly confirming that the normal process is to go from Be straight to Infinity.

One thing does strike as a possible reason though is that its not unknown for BT to accept the order and the cab not quite be ready.
OR something that can seemingly be common in newly enabled areas..  the FTTC cab is fully subscribed and waiting an upgrade, which normally doesnt take too long before they add more capacity - usually a couple of weeks, in which instance the EU would stay on adsl.

It would be interesting to know for sure.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »

I thought Demon were SMPF LLU (C&W). Apologies if I missed something and am behind the times..  do they do Full MPF now?

Sorry Kitz, I do not know. My comments are based upon what the OP has posted.

Of course there could be one other explanation -- misinterpretation.  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »

>> Of course there could be one other explanation -- misinterpretation.

or confusion  (me points at self) :D

Im pretty certain that Demon is SMPF. 

I was about to type there must be members on here that have done a migration to Infinity and if they went straight to FTTC.  Then realised there was bbnovice who went from Virgin to Infinity (despite the Virgin farce whether a MAC was needed or not)...  and although not quite the same - our own UncleUB went straight from SMPF to FTTC with Digital Region.  Comments Ive seen from Be (SMPF) seem to all go on the same day.

The logical part of my brain (no comments please  :D ) doesnt quite compute 2 lots of re-jumpering if it can all be done at the same time... but then again I could be wrong.

------

D'oh...  just visited my own ISP forum...  lots of SMPF migrations straight on to Infinity - no interim adsl2+
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 02:57:16 AM »

D'oh...  just visited my own ISP forum...  lots of SMPF migrations straight on to Infinity - no interim adsl2+

Hence my assumption that the line is MPF (i.e. fully LLU'd) and the current CP does not sell the Openreach NGA FTTC product.  :-\

Pages: [1] 2

anything