Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC DSLAMs  (Read 11220 times)

smucat

Re: FTTC DSLAMs
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »

@ waltergmw

It would make sense to collect data via the fibre link and I assume the telemetry pair simply picks up a line from the nearby PCP?

Re: Power. Right so 0.5kW x 24 hours is 12 kWh (units) per day for one cab. Times 365 days is 4380 units per annum. Times 30k cabs is 131400000 units per annum! I don't know what discounts they get, but say 5p per unit makes the total bill £6.57M per annum.

I see Peter recommends going for FTTH and perhaps not bother with FTTC (!) - that would certainly eliminate probs due to poor quality copper cables.

smucat

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »

Thanks to B*Cat for adding 'Harelquin Group' to my list of contractors which include:

Carillion/Telent, Morrison Utility Services, M.J. Quinn, UK Power Networks, and Twinline Utilities.

I'm sure there must be quite a few more....?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »

@ smucat,

Options is another contractor used around here.

You are correct that a 5 pr "telemetry cable" with only one pair connected is often added to the link duct AFTER they have been sealed and by a new team of subcontractors some time later.
I assume the pair is connected to a standard POTS dial-up telemetry unit in the FTTC. I don't know if they have dared to go so far, but being able to power-recycle the DSLAM could be a useful instant remedy.

Kind regards,
Walter

smucat

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 04:26:38 PM »

@ waltergmw

I understood the telemetry line to be for remote meter readings of the electricity use.

Oh, 'power-recycle' - you mean to 'switch it off and on again' - you'd have to ring the helpdesk for that procedure!  :D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 09:29:23 PM »

@ smucat,

I've yet to see any connection to a meter, but for obvious reasons, only the circuit breaker is visible without dismantling the left hand side of the cabinet.
If you look at an ECI cabinet diagram on the door you will see items such as door alarms and cabinet temperature etc. so I had assumed (but can't confirm) it was those items being transmitted via the telemetry link.

Certainly the door alarms are available in a control room as BT advertise that fact.

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2]

anything