Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Download Speeds  (Read 2571 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Download Speeds
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:13:37 AM »

Hi all,

Last night around 10.30pm I downloaded the latest Flash update 15.3mb(Firefox)..It took nearly 5 minutes to download averaging 70/90kbps..

I then did a speedtest

And following that I downloaded a 20mb test file from

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

Which took a few seconds..So nothing wrong there.

I have downloaded the IE Flash update this morning and it was still slow averaging 100kbps...

What could be wrong,could it be the Adobe servers? Usually any previous Flash updates have been done in a matter of seconds..

Edit.Just downloaded another 20mb test file and that downloaded in under 10 seconds.

Edit 2....Just update Opera and that was downloading at only around 40kbps.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:25:43 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Download Speeds
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:33:58 AM »

I would have thought that the most likely explanation was a temporary problem with Adobe's servers, but I just downloaded the latest Flash and it came down at the maximum speed of my connection, about 900 kbps. So I really don't know, I'm afraid.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »

Thanks Eric. :)

I would have thought that the most likely explanation was a temporary problem with Adobe's servers

That's what I thought until I updated Opera this morning, a 12mb file downloaded at around 40kbps...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:37:17 AM »

Perhaps it's an MTU issue? I don't know much about the subject, but Kitz has some advice at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak2.htm
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »

Ive just downloaded Flash at around 9 Mbps.

One other possibility could be a problem with one of the transit peer points from your ISP

You could try doing a tracert to Adobe.com and see if theres any problems with any of the hops, but I have a feeling that Adobe may use akami to deliver content.

Im not saying this is going to be your problem, but years and years ago when Plusnet very first started doing traffic shaping, and before they sussed out the Elacoyas, 2 of the very places that I reported pathetic download speeds were Flash and Opera downloads (I used Opera back then).  I honestly dont know for sure,  but I think Opera may also use Akami...  which is why Im wondering about a transit link problem.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »

Thanks Kitz  :)

I am awaiting a call from Origin support,so I shall enquire about the points you have made.

Tbh since I have had Origin (beginning of August) all previous Flash updates have downloaded in seconds.I haven't altered any settings my end,but a couple of weeks ago I was having random disconnects so Origin did something their end,the disconnects have stopped but this is the first Flash update since that has happened.... coincidence  ???

Edit......I have just downloaded Ccleaner(for the first time)..It was just under 5mb and downloaded in a couple of seconds or so.

Edit 2........Origin just called ,he gave me a link to download a 1GB dat file which I did and it took about a couple of minutes or so..He can't see nothing wrong Origins end so he is going to check out if it is a transit problem as you suggested Kitz  :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:14:36 PM by UncleUB »

anything