Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Technicolor 582n  (Read 4525 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Technicolor 582n
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »

I have just upgraded to "Extra" from BBYW on Plusnet and I am offered a free wireless router if I pay the postage and stay with them for 12 months. I don't regularly use a wireless connection having run Ethernet cable to those places I need it in the house. I have a BT 2700 and a Netgear 834 neither of which I use preferring my old Speedtouch 586 that lets me use DMT. Having got a Smart TV recently it strikes me I should try to keep up with the modern trend and install wireless connections.

I could do that by using either of the two wireless routers I already have as Access Points but always looking for something for nothing (almost!) I am tempted by the Plusnet offer. The trouble is there seems lots of adverse comment about the Technicolor 582n in particular about its wireless performance. What do the knowledgeable folk on here have to say about this router. It's obviously not a pressing problem for me - I'm not desparate to go to wireless and the offer is not time limited. Looking forward to your views.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Technicolor 582n
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »

Im currently using a 582n after my ST585 died.  I find it stable and similar stats performance wise as the ST585.  Ive not seen any problems with the wireless and it seems fine both in the house and when Ive taken my ipad in the garden.

Downside (for me) - no DMT tweaking and no SNMP.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »

Kitz
Thanks for that comment, it's helpful.
Tony

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:11:04 PM »

My set up is very basic, but so far no trouble with wifi* in our 70s 3 bd lnk det even in uty room or conservatory. The 582 syncs ca.400 kbps slower than 585 v7 and SNRM is rarely above 2 dB against 3-3.5 for the 585.

PS no trouble from wifi but there would be from wifey if there was. ;)

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »

I personally find the 582N has a better DSL connection and wifi connection than others I have used. I noticed that when using the Zen based F/W the dsl synchs higher than the worldbuild F/W but all in all a stable little peice of kit.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »

Thanks to all who have responded. The lack of DMT is a shame as I tweak my Speedtouch to get the most out of my country overhead line. Still mulling it over although coming around to squandering £4.99!
Tony

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 06:11:34 PM »

£4.99 = ~8 bars of chocolate! Find another comparison for any "special other". ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 02:56:42 AM »

The standard student fare is

* beer
* baked beans
* pot noodles
* pizza

(or it was, in my day). How much of that list could you buy for £4.99 . . . ?  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.