Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Is my phone filter/faceplate starting to fail?

(1/4) > >>

broadstairs:
Since I've been running Eric's excellent rs-ux and keeping a close eye on my line I have noticed that whenever the phone is in use I see a burst of CRC errors and sometimes some FEC errors usually when the phone either starts ringing or on initiating the call. Now my broadband does not drop and the snrm does not see any significant jump, the errors do not happen to any significant rate during a call and I can hear no clicks or hiss on the line. However I am wondering if the filter in the faceplate is starting to fail?

Any ideas please? Is this worth worrying about at present?

Stuart

burakkucat:
 :hmm:  Hmm . . .  If you have a good-quality "dangly" micro-filter tucked away (for a "just in case" event), it might be worthwhile testing with it substituted for the faceplate.

Call yourself from a mobile phone and see if similar error bursts occur. FECs are no great concern, it is the CRCs that are worrisome.  :-\

snadge:
..still, at least the raised FEC's tell you something is going on :)

I know that when the phone rings the voltage changes down the line...but too what extent I dont know and whether its only when it rings or during a call too I dont know, I wouldnt mind testing my line just for kicks..maybe I will tomozza

Black Sheep:

--- Quote from: snadge on November 15, 2012, 12:05:56 AM ---..still, at least the raised FEC's tell you something is going on :)

I know that when the phone rings the voltage changes down the line...but too what extent I dont know and whether its only when it rings or during a call too I dont know, I wouldnt mind testing my line just for kicks..maybe I will tomozza

--- End quote ---

Quite right ....... when the landline is rung, the voltage swings from a nominal 50vdc, to between 90-120vac. It is only during the ringing that this occurs.

Ezzer:
Its not so much that CRC's or FEC's ar there, it's the rate at which they occur
Over about 5 mins CRC's in the low 100's or FEC's Up to low 1000's are ok. Anything over that is cause for concern.

Errors are rather like spelling errors. the odd one in a document, annoying but you can still easly read and get the gist of a document.

Too many then it slows your reading down, even making chunks too difficult to understand. It's the same for your router

Hopefully a phone ringing is no more to your dsl signal than having a conversation with some one and having a door slam in the backround.

To many errors is like the door slam followed by a hoard of screaming kids playing cowboys and indians (or is it X-factor and kardashians today ?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version