Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A visit to our telegraph pole today  (Read 13382 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: A visit to our telegraph pole today
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 07:26:09 PM »

Blue ladder go's without saying, Yes I was around for 2 men/women with EL's (that was a pain). Risk assesment form ? good grief  :o no hadn't come across that one

As for the insulator, it was quite some time ago one of the guys who buddied up with a hoist raised this point. No one was aware of it but he did locate the ISIS and it dated back some years and was still current. Took a bit of digging but sure enough that is the case

The basis being we shouldn't be in the range of potentialy live uninsulated plant while being grounded. Although working off a hoist is deemed ok so a task is ment to have a hoist if the insulator is below BT plant.

It was one of those collective. "OOOOOOh well I didn't know that." moments

I'm still not aware of this info, Ezz. I've just (saddo) read the relevant ISIS and the only bit that even touches on this subject is pasted below .................

'Power conductors or any metalwork associated with the power system (including lighting brackets) must never be touched, as they could be live. Similarly stay wires must not be touched - particularly the section of the staywire above the insulator'

There are no other references regarding regs of the stay wire and/or insulation of, other than a visual check of its condition. Sorry to dissapoint mate. :'(

As an aside, the same ISIS quotes the mandatory 2-man working on JUP's, as being introduced 1st May 2009. :)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »

I think thats the one we initaly found when Terry mentioned it. He dug around and found another one which was specific to the insulator on the stay.

Shame I don't have my outlook file with the doc any more. There definately was one. Took Terry some time to find it, he was determined as he was certain he saw it so as to prove it to us

If I remember correctly it also mentioned the way any cabling was run by the stay with a low insulator.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »

No worries, Ezz, I believe you mate. You of all people will appreciate the quagmire that is the ISIS Reference Library !! I thought the 'Electrical Regs' were a mare to navigate, all those years ago ............. but ISIS ?? They're in a league of their own. :'( :)

It would probably be quicker and easier knocking on every door in Britain, and asking if an 'Openreach Hoist Operator' named Terry lives there ?? Then take it from there ...........  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]