Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A visit to our telegraph pole today  (Read 13354 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
A visit to our telegraph pole today
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:13:44 AM »

This morning I was surprised to hear the sound of a ladder being erected outside and saw a BT van outside while the BT guy was getting ready to climb our pole which is located right outside our front garden. He then proceeded to start tapping (or more like bashing) the pole with a hammer all the way up as he climbed and poked the top of the pole with a screwdriver (or other pointy tool). I presume his is testing the pole for structural integrity as once done he then packed up and left.

I don't know how often this is done but we have lived here for some 12 years and this is the first time I have noticed this being done here, although I've never noticed it anywhere before. It is an obvious thing for BT to do as these poles are wood and can rot/decay. The other thing which was noticeable was apart from his safety harness there was a silver coloured box attached to a rope round the pole and the other end attached to the man (looked like round his neck), I wonder what this was?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: A visit to our telegraph pole today
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »

Possibly some sort of fall alarm?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 12:41:15 PM »

Yes I had not considered that, should have in this modern day environment! Although very sensible if working alone which I think he was....

Stuart

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »

Could be hammering in wood preservative pellets into the post at various strategic intervals.
Seen it done on electric poles round here.
They seem to be some form of slow release plastic dart like unit which is hammered in to pole.
Once done all you see on the outside is the head of the pellet sticking out 5mm or so.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »

Could be hammering in wood preservative pellets into the post at various strategic intervals.
Seen it done on electric poles round here.
They seem to be some form of slow release plastic dart like unit which is hammered in to pole.
Once done all you see on the outside is the head of the pellet sticking out 5mm or so.

I don't think that was happening as he was hammering all round, it was fairly obvious that this was some kind of testing, although I can't rule it out.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:07:07 PM »

>> I presume his is testing the pole for structural integrity as once done he then packed up and left.

I think that would have been my first thought, but then I would also find it strange that he only did one pole and didnt check any more nearby. ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »

The guy was a 'Pole Tester'.

The cycle for wooden poles is every 13yrs. The hammer test is something every engineer should do before climbing a pole, it's to listen for changes in the 'thud' heard as we hit the pole with the hammer all around it's base, which could determine whether there is decay present.

Due to poles being replaced, upgraded for dropwire heights etc etc ......... the tester may only have one pole to look at in the area, that's out of the 13yr cycle.

The silver box could be the newer piece of equipment the PT's have been issued ?? The equipment I'm reffering to tests some kind of resistivity of the pole. Not having ever been a stick-tester, nor ever wanting to be, I'm not 100% certain of the 'Silver box'.

Hope the other bits help. :) 

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »

We don't have 'Fall alarms'. Just a 'Fall arrest lanyard' that breaks your back, and then swings you back and forth smashing your head into the pole-climbing steps for 5 mins until momentum is lost. It's a slow painful death, rather than the instant one you would probably get, by not wearing the lanyard and falling off. 

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »

:o indeed!
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 07:05:38 PM »

Have I missed something ??

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »

I'm guessing maybe Stuart condoned the falling from poles ??  :)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »

Thanks Black sheep, I've heard many descriptions of the possibilities of injuries from the lanyard. Yours tickled me.  :lol:

I remember tapping a suspect pole with a hammer only for the hammer head to half dissapear into the wood with a soggy squelch. The pole looked sort of ok to sight. I reckon the sun dries the outer layers so it looked ok.

@ Broadstairs, that screwdriver thing is a probe. Like a screwdriver but with a taper at the end to make a slight point and a mark about 20mm back. The idea that in theory you should not climb any pole where the probe can be inserted as far up to the mark. That includes "Shakes" which are the natural splits in the wood.

Oh and Black Sheep, I wonder if your aware on EL poles if a stay wire has the insulator below the level of any BT plant then its deemed a D pole ?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »

Thanks Black sheep, I've heard many descriptions of the possibilities of injuries from the lanyard. Yours tickled me.  :lol:

I remember tapping a suspect pole with a hammer only for the hammer head to half dissapear into the wood with a soggy squelch. The pole looked sort of ok to sight. I reckon the sun dries the outer layers so it looked ok.

@ Broadstairs, that screwdriver thing is a probe. Like a screwdriver but with a taper at the end to make a slight point and a mark about 20mm back. The idea that in theory you should not climb any pole where the probe can be inserted as far up to the mark. That includes "Shakes" which are the natural splits in the wood.

Oh and Black Sheep, I wonder if your aware on EL poles if a stay wire has the insulator below the level of any BT plant then its deemed a D pole ?

No, I wasn't aware of that, Ezz ??!! The rules and regs surrounding EL poles, have probably changed since you left our shores/ Openreach ?? We have to fill out a on-site assessment form now and retain for 'x' ammount of time (can't remember how long ??). We have to be 2-men parties now, if an EL pole is to be climbed. We have to use 'Blue ladders' (fibreglass constructed).
Somewhere in the back of my mind is a memo about not being able to 'add' any more loading to EL Poles, anymore ?? We can use existing way leaves to replace faulty DW's, but as far as I'm aware, we can't install newly provided DW's ?? As CAL/OMI isn't my forte, I may be slightly out of touch with the last comment ??

However, I must admit I haven't seen that particular snippet of info you have just given ?? As you well know, information overload is rife in BT and one cannot possibly absorb all the daily changes to working practices, booking codes, quality, safety, equivalence ....... all being different dependant upon the nature of the work being undertaken. Great bit of knowledge share though, Ezz.

PS ..... glad the fall-arrest pun tickled ya !! ;D

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »

Blue ladder go's without saying, Yes I was around for 2 men/women with EL's (that was a pain). Risk assesment form ? good grief  :o no hadn't come across that one

As for the insulator, it was quite some time ago one of the guys who buddied up with a hoist raised this point. No one was aware of it but he did locate the ISIS and it dated back some years and was still current. Took a bit of digging but sure enough that is the case

The basis being we shouldn't be in the range of potentialy live uninsulated plant while being grounded. Although working off a hoist is deemed ok so a task is ment to have a hoist if the insulator is below BT plant.

It was one of those collective. "OOOOOOh well I didn't know that." moments
Pages: [1] 2