Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TalkTalk unlimited unlimited?  (Read 10513 times)

Jonnyteg

Re: TalkTalk unlimited unlimited?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 10:02:14 PM »

Never trust sales personal from isp's I have had plenty of laughable claims from the voices of the sold end user ie '  The line is about 8kms rural we can give you 2 meg' .   On the fault my exfo 'next gen tester' passed the line as decent not 100% but no ambers or 50/50s.   

I did achieve sync @ 300kpbs or so 6db down interleaved, with the end users hub not doing much apart from flashing orange this being normal as the tester will sync better than most routers.

If i coiled up 8km of cable and tested from the exchange then I may get the 2 meg it would be a fun experiment.

What people have to understand that sales staff dont have a clue, just want the sale, customer service first line dont have a clue either!  sometimes I need to deal with them Hello my name is xxx from xxx isp, I then introduce myself and who I represent, they reply ok have you tried this in the test socket  :lol: when im actually in the exchange.   They both run on scripts and what you want to here calculations.

The best advice is different ISP's will be better than others in different areas. The biggest mistake the end user can make is compare to a friends service from isp A they stay in another exchange area and different line distance.

So between them on a quality pair the difference will be in the small print and price + benefits.

Hope that helps

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »

>> >> So a sales guy from TalkTalk called at the door

Sadly they lie through their teeth anything to get a sale.   They have no knowledge about the internet and ISPs never mind adsl.   Ive had a few TT cold calls to my door.   Ive never heard such rubbish in my life come out of the mouth of one of them - and thats being polite.

By all means go with TT if thats what you want, but steer well clear of the cold callers.
At least with Plusnet you know exactly what they shape and when and are very upfront about it.  With TT its not quite so clear.

Back to traffic shaping, I think you will find that most of the ISPs do some form of shaping or FUP.  Ive been on a traffic shaped account with Plusnet in the past and I could work quite well with it.

Other than that.. perhaps Be* or Sky?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »

In all fairness I've had no probs with tiscali/TT for 10 yrs, worked with them to solve an intermittent line fault, and can't complain about the service either..
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

Simon_Gardner

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »

The chances are he was just just someone on commission and not employed directly by TalkTalk, so basically would say anything to get the contract/commission, lets face it, all companies now have a F.U.P.

I bet if you asked for that in writing you would not get it.
I did at the time. And indeed I didn't.

Simon_Gardner

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

Just to add that today I have got agreement from my existing ISP Plusnet finally to upgrade me to 21CN speeds under my existing legacy unlimited, unlimited contract and no other changes. (They've been telling me for five months they wouldn't do that.) If I turn out to be charged a bit more for the ADSL 2+, I'm content with that.

Looking forward to it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »

Thats sounding better.  Good luck with the adsl2+ upgrade :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Simon_Gardner

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »

10 days while Plusnet made a cockup and failed to throw the right "switches" and now all is fine. I've got speeds some 60-80% faster and no sign of any shaping or other limits.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »

Im glad you finally got there in the end :)
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 03:16:48 AM »

. . . now all is fine. I've got speeds some 60-80% faster and no sign of any shaping or other limits.

:thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]