Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Question #2 For Our Openreach Technicians  (Read 3968 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Question #2 For Our Openreach Technicians
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:26:16 AM »

I have attached, below, part of an illustration copied from an Openreach document. Would one of you be able to name that type of joint closure, please?

Having recently learnt about the Universal Clip Joint, I wonder if the joint being worked upon is one of the UCJ's predecessors?  :-\

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Question #2 For Our Openreach Technicians
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:44:29 AM »

Those are the 'King of all joints', IMO. The bees knees, los perros cajones, la creme de la creme ................. they are the 'Mechanical Closures' that I mentioned on the other post about UCJ's.

There's a few different sizes (as with all the joint ranges), but the most common in use are MC31, MC32 and MC34. A joy and a pleasure to see when you lift a joint-box lid. Reason being, entry and exit into the said joint is by simple removal of a clamp. Time saved against the 'Heat Shrink' type joint is immense.

HTH. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:42:03 AM »

Thank you for the detailed reply. I was not sure if the type of joint closure could be identified from that image.  :-\

Clearly the MCs give you great delight. I wonder if you have a few (unused, new stock), tactfully arranged, as some form of modern art decoration within your Sheep's Fold? Or has SWMBO declared that the bringing home of your work ist verboten:-X

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »

I wonder if you have a few (unused, new stock), tactfully arranged, as some form of modern art decoration within your Sheep's Fold? Or has SWMBO declared that the bringing home of your work ist verboten:-X

definately Verboten.

I had a job where I was looking for a suspect joint. I found a BT Joint box in the lawn of a Warded housing facility about the right distance and location. Inside one of those joint closures. Odd that there were plastic bags shoved around the base ? Opened the joint, Wasn't helped by the fact it was getting dark (I know I know, WITHOD, but warded OAP's with no service)

Only to discover several 15 amp mains cables with the little srew connector terminals and some alarm wiring on internal telephony cabling inside and yes it was live.

After my managers "You found WHAT ?" the next morling. it was a case of wondering how some presumably a contractor got hold of BT plant to botch this together leaving a nice little man trap for any unsuspecting OR enginneer to start poking their fingers in.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »

I had a job where I was looking for a suspect joint. I found a BT Joint box in the lawn of a Warded housing facility about the right distance and location. Inside one of those joint closures. Odd that there were plastic bags shoved around the base ? Opened the joint, Wasn't helped by the fact it was getting dark (I know I know, WITHOD, but warded OAP's with no service)

Only to discover several 15 amp mains cables with the little srew connector terminals and some alarm wiring on internal telephony cabling inside and yes it was live.

After my managers "You found WHAT ?" the next morling. it was a case of wondering how some presumably a contractor got hold of BT plant to botch this together leaving a nice little man trap for any unsuspecting OR enginneer to start poking their fingers in.

That reads doubly-shocking.  :o

I assume the fault on 'your' circuit was fairly easily traced and fixed, the next day. What happens in cases like this, where misappropriated plant is discovered? Is there a division who go in and remove the incorrectly used plant, replacing it with the appropriate category / standard equipment? Then bill the property owner?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:23:11 PM »

I belive the fault was sorted, I didn't get it back the next day.

The local survey chap was based at the same exchange and he called me to say "You found what ? in a what ! and where exactly was it ?

I stopped by as I had a task from that exchange when he was looking for it. The manager/warden came out to see what we were up to. He told her how this is bt materials but not fitted by bt or for telecom usage. I think letters were issued to get the BT box and joint removed ASAP. Beyond that I never heard the final outcome. I've never been back to that group of properties (otherwise I would have given it a little peek)

anything